Wednesday, June 15, 2005

How do you say "pervert" in Spanish?

Ok, so yesterday morning, I was getting dressed, and I was just about to take off my pajama shirt, when I happened to look at my window. Because I have a cat who likes to look out the window and will destroy the blinds in his attempt to do so, I usually keep the blinds pulled up about a foot. So I was able to see that sitting on the grass about five feet from my window was a man, Hispanic looking (I think--I admit I'm not good at playing Spot the Ethnicity at 50 Paces, it never being relevant to me for any purposes other than occassionally for identification purposes like, say, describing to the police the appearance of the pervert sitting outside your window), who was looking into my window. Mm-hmm. I was so surprised that I didn't know what to do. Well, I did go into the bathroom to finish getting dressed. When I came out, I went to the window and lowered the blinds, which I hoped signalled to him that I saw him--as my dad would say, "I see you seeing me."

Naturally I thought this was a one-time deal. But this morning, again, there he was, sitting on the grass, not more than five feet from my window, sitting so that he wasn't facing my window but had his right side to it, and he was leaning over every 30 seconds or so and trying to peer in. I was already in a bad mood because the air conditioning is out in my apartment, so needless to say I didn't sleep well. I didn't know whether to cry, call the police, or go out there with a fork.

It's possible, I suppose, that he's just very interested in the flora/fauna directly outside my window, but since there's not any, I don't think that's it. But I'll tell you what I do think. I think that when I get home today, I'm looking up how to say "Peeping Tom" and "pervert" in Spanish, and I'm getting a some jumper cables and a disposable camera, and tomorrow morning, if he's there, things will be different. You hear me, bucko? I've got your number, buddy!

11 comments:

Jennboree said...

Welcome, Jennifer! Glad to see you joined blog world. You came highly recommended by one out of five Jes's.

I too have had my own personal Peeping Tom. At the time, I was in college and had an Amazon woman for a roomie who chased him with a police flashlight.

Two days after, he was peeping at my other roomie while holding a purple and white polka dot umbrella. Needless to say, it was easy to bust him when a description was given to the cops.

Try yelling "Pervertido!" (seriously, that's the word in espanol)

jes said...

maybe he was trying to get your attention to say, "excuse me, ma'am. your window is open, and i would like to help you by pointing it out so that no one assumes the role of pervert in this neighborhood."

of course, you leave your window open and try to catch him launching forks in a slingshot toward his direction.

i'd DEFINITELY notify your apartment complex.

Ben said...

That's crazy... that people actually try to "peek" at others. Hm.

Glad that you FINALLY started your own blog. But, really, how could you not with Jes bugging you all the time. ;)

JLR said...

Thanks for the encouragement. My first post was going to be "Jess made me do this," but I decided against it. Thanks, Jenn, for the translation. My spanish comes out sounding French, but I think despite the accent, he'll get the message. Especially if I'm chasing him with a police flashlight. If only I had an Amazon roommate.

Night Flier said...

Is it possible that your peeping tom could be the reason for your missing soup in your previous post? Maybe your Spanish Pervert is sneaking into your apartment after you leave and eating all your soup?

I suggest tomorrow as you call him "Pervertido" throwing some cans of soup at him.

Melissa said...

Welcome to the blogging world! Jes is the one that sucked me into all this too, but I've gotten to enjoy it! :) Keep on blogging and have fun with it!

Stephen said...

Your blog happened to be six clicks down the road from mine and I was just drawn into it.

My sister used to have the same problem while playing tennis. But the guy used to play along (with himself) while watching! The Cops did not seem very interested in the problem and in the end the only cure was to take a BB gun to tennis.

JLR said...

Well, *that's* an interesting approach. As it happens, I know where I could get a BB gun. . .

Angie said...

OK, hi, I´m Angie and I speak Spanish, but I don´t think it´s a good idea shouting at this pervert. That could actually encourage him to come back, I would call someone or do something and try to act as if nothing is going on, that you saw him and you´re just going to ignore him, but do something, as Jes said, notify your apartment complex.
But if you really want to shout something at him, I know some pretty good things you could say.

steve said...

you could always try

"Machacaré su cabeza con un mezclador!!"

which roughly translated means "I WILL CRUSH YOUR HEAD WITH A BLENDER!!"

LOL! Thought it might help...

JLR said...

thanks for all the advice! I haven't seen the guy again, although that may be because I've been oversleeping lately, and he's just gone by the time I get up. In any case, Angie, if I see him again, I will ask you for some good translations. And Steve, even if he never comes back, I'm remembering that one. That could come in handy in some many situations.