Monday, August 29, 2005

The Pot Thickens

So. Here's what I'm thinking. I'm thinking that there ought to be a way to let everyone in the office know that there's a fresh pot of coffee available.

As every coffee drinker knows (and I am not referring to those namby-pamby "I only drink caramel frapuccino" types--they aren't really coffee drinkers), if you let a pot of coffee sit on the burner for long enough, it turns into something considerably less desirable than what it started out as. It doesn't congeal exactly, it kind of . . . I don't know what the word is. All I know is, it doesn't taste the same, and when I add cream, it turns a sort of thick gray color. It's like the coffee is a black hole--you can pour all the cream in you want, but it won't make a difference.

So today I'm standing there in front of the coffee, wondering if this is fresh coffee or no. The cup I had when I arrived this morning was decidedly not fresh. So I sit there for several minutes debating whether it smells fresher, whether the coffee level is higher than it was this morning (which would indicate a new pot), whether it looked different, etc, etc. This is, of course, an incredible time-waster, especially since I'll be drinking it either way. But I like to know what I'm getting myself into, you know?

So can't we set up some sort of automatic alert system?

17 comments:

steve said...

I am a COFFEE drinker... spend a few years in a 12 step program and you learn that coffee made by bikers named "TRUCK" is an experience... but and experience that will make you realize you will drink anything that has caffiene! I am always the freakin addict in my office making the coffee so I always know its fresh!

Amstaff Mom said...

Since Krispy Kreme isn't doing as well as it used to, maybe you can purchase one of their "Hot, Donuts, Now" signs and light it up whenever the pot is fresh.

Just a thought...

JLR said...

AM: that is FREAKIN' GREAT idea.

steve: Solidarity, baby! Coffee drinkers of the world unite!

As I may have previously mentioned: I have always had a special affinity for the coffee shop in Austin with the sign out front that reads "Caffeine Dealer." And I will drink my coffee from just about any gas station, auto mechanic waiting room, hospital, you name it.

Deals On Wheels said...

How about a dry erase board where you can fill in all coffee-related details (date made, time brewed, made by, etc.)?

You can even permanently fill in the headings, so all anyone has to do is dry-erase-in all the new info with each freshly brewed pot. You know, kind of like they do in public restrooms to keep track of who is cleaning it and when.

I’ll even make you an Excel spreadsheet, if you like. I REALLY enjoy making Excel spreadsheets, so - if you decide to go this route - please keep me in mind!

Katie said...

If it looks old I just pour it out and make a new pot. Hmmm is that wasteful?

Katie said...

Ha ha Deals is my kind of computer nerd gal.

Ben said...

I don't need an alert system, because I am the one who makes the coffee... EXTRA black. So I know when it was made and what it tastes like.

The yummy goodness is always fresh and black.

Kim Plaintive said...

They have this new kind of coffee that turns from brown to green when it's no longer fresh. Then all you have to do is look at the color to know.

Kim Plaintive said...

Ok, I just made that up. But no one steal my idea. Um... patent pending.

Lia said...

how about a cheap paper sign that says on one side "the coffee is fresh" and on the other side "no fresh coffee yet"? every morning, turn it to the "not yet" side, and train people to turn it around if they make new coffee.

Nope. I like the dry erase board better.

steve said...

YES BEN!!

I just heard 2 people in my office ask "Did Steve make the coffee?? I could stand a FORK in this!!"

THATS RIGHT BABY!!!

RR said...

Kim: You totally had me going there for a moment.

Katie said...

IC - one of my happy thoughts for today is

"Steam rising from FRESH coffee"

Ok so I added the fresh, but I did think of you when I read that thought.

Amstaff Mom said...

Does anybody else see the irony about a "Chicken" talking about a pot thickening?

jes said...

i think you should just start asking LB if she's made new coffee, since i think she is usually the one who make it.

or, if worse comes to worse, you could just make a new pot. i mean, we do have THREE pots sitting on the maker, and TWO of them are generally always empty.

Amstaff Mom said...

Let me just say that I am SUMO jealous that y'all have free coffee at work. Yes, we have regular coffee and yes, we have Starbucks coffee, but WE HAVE TO PAY FOR BOTH OF THEM!!!

Thank you for letting me rant. This is what happens when I drink my Organic Bancha Japanese Green Tea w/ Stevia instead of going downstairs to buy coffee. I get angry, and you don't want to see me angry.....

JLR said...

mmm . . . coffee.

steve: I like to say that the coffee should be so strong that you can almost chew it.

KP: um, you should get on that. Because if they coffee turned green, no one would drink it, and they'd have to make a new pot.