Friday, August 05, 2005

Really, it's not you, it's me.

Someone I know recently told me that I’m “sort of bad” about mailing things. He said this because I promised to mail him something seven months ago. As I told him, I’m not sort of bad about it, I’m terrible. But can I help it if I lost what I was going to mail him? Well, obviously I can, but my point is that it isn’t like I’m just lazy.


Ok, that’s part of it. I am lazy. I’m very, very lazy. RR and I used to only check the mail once a week (if then) because we had to walk across the street to get it. Also, it was fun to see how much the mailman could stuff in there. We liked to picture him struggling with all the circulars and valpaks. Now, the mailbox is right next to our apartment, and if we don’t remember to check until we’re sitting on the sofa, then it has to wait for another day.


[RR can afford to be lazy, though, because she gets plenty of exercise at work, mostly from me calling her. Her museum also has a research library, which is upstairs from where her offices are. So I first call her office, and if she’s not there, I call upstairs, and if she’s not there, I call back downstairs again. Many, many times when I call she is on the stairs between floors and is forced to run back and forth towards the ringing phone, only to get there and discover that I have hung up and have called the other number, now ringing on the other floor. And she knows it’s me, because I’m the only person who harasses her like that, and being the sweet sister that she is, she feels compelled to run and answer it. Then I throw in her cell phone for good measure. By the time she gets to her desk, her coworker tells her, “uh, I think your sister was trying to call you.” That way she KNOWS it’s me, and I’m sure she’ll call me back right away. Because it’s usually something important, like “hey, what was the name of that guy in that movie we saw last night?”]


But mostly, I’m just forgetful. For instance, yesterday morning jes had to notarize something for me—my declaration of intent to study law. You are supposed to mail this in your first year of law school. I am starting my third. So it’s a little late. The worst part of it is, I had it completely filled out BEFORE I started school—I just never got around to sending it in.


Case in point. Just now I called rr at work, and she didn’t answer, so I called upstairs, and she didn’t answer. So a minute later I remembered I had needed to talk to her about something, and her voice mail picked up really fast so I knew she was on the other line, so I decided to leave her a message. I did. A few seconds after I hung up, I remembered what I had actually called for, which was not at all related to the message I left. So I called her again. Thank heavens she answered, or I might never have managed to have that conversation with her.


So at first, I thought e-mail was fabulous. It involved no walking to the post office, no remembering to buy stamps, no “where did I put that again?” laps around the house. But nowadays, I’m not e-mailing so much either.


But part of that is the busyness. I’m usually so busy that I don’t have time to write e-mails. So I wound up sending mass e-mails updating everyone with what’s going on. I felt kind of bad for the impersonal nature of it, but at least they knew what was going on with me (usually not very much). But even that started to take too much time.


Then I started blogging, and that saved me time because I didn’t have to insert anyone’s address. But now I spend TOO much time blogging. Don't consider this summer to be any kind of precedent. I fear very much that once school starts, there won’t be so much blogging from me. Unless of course tax class is as boring as I predict it will be. That’s what wireless internet access is for.

So, anyway, the point of this post is that if, when school starts, the posting greatly decreases, don't take it personally. I'm ignoring everyone.

25 comments:

Amanda Sue said...

somehow, i don't see you kicking the habit that quickly.

"don't be so hard on yourself. it took you a long time to start smoking, didn't it? it will take you a long time to quit."

(i hate that commercial.)

kudos on closing the brackets in the bracketed paragraph. i can't STAND for brackets to not be closed.

Amstaff Mom said...

"I fear very much that once school starts, there won’t be so much blogging from me."

*blinks and then stares blankly at the screen*

Say it isn't so. b/c that's EXACTLY what wireless internet is for. Please don't let the postings decrease, PLEASE?

And I'm a very lazy person too, but not when it comes to forms of communication. I'm ALL ABOUT email, mail, and blogs. OBVIOUSLY.

Amanda Sue said...

HA! i finally tried it:

eng-germ-french-eng

"kudos on closing angles in the point between brackets. I cannot a POSITION, so that angles are not closed."

Amanda Sue said...

i thought if we tried hard, we could beat jes's number of comments. i don't have anything to do, but i guess other people are "working."

Amanda Sue said...

i will try it singlehandedly.

Amanda Sue said...

unfortunately, i have a short attention span, and this is about as much fun as playing tennis with a wall.

Amanda Sue said...

unfortunately I have a short span of an attention, and it is to the topic just as much pleasure that playing at the tennis with a wall.

Amstaff Mom said...

I'm with ya, Amanda.

Eng-Ger-French

"And I am also however, a very putrefied person, not if one comes to the forms from communication. I am WHOLE CSur the enamel, posts and blogs. OBVIOUSLY."

I'm putrefied? the enamel? OBVIOUSLY.

(and I love how when I was "german" my "ALL ABOUT" became "UBER".

Amanda Sue said...

yay! i am uber glad someone else wants to play!

Amanda Sue said...

i love that you are putrefied.

gross.

Amstaff Mom said...

Maybe if we rack up her comments, she will have no other choice but to continually blog throughout her quest for a law degree.

If we strongly require their remarks, perhaps do not have however continuously any other blog choice during its search for degree of law.

Amstaff Mom said...

I scrolled all the way to the bottom of your blog to link over the impatient bee's site. Lo, and behold, it was up there at the top the whole time!

Me scrolled completely with the lower part of their blog, to connect on impatiently the place of installation to the bee. Slightly and behold, it was in top there on the upper surface time!

(that was a good one, yes?)

Kim Plaintive said...

Hey I want to join the comment party! I don't have any REAL work to do, although new supervisor Mike did come by earlier when I was reading someone's blog to ask how the fake loans were coming.

Kim Plaintive said...

Hey που έχω θελήσει το μέλος για ένα συμβαλλόμενο μέρος του σχολιασμού είναι ! Δεν πρέπει να κάνω ΑΛΗΘΙΝΑ, παρόλο που της εργασίας ο νέος επόπτης mike έχει έρθει στο παρελθόν σε τχατ παρελθοντική στιγμή εγώ ένα μερικό blog έχει διαβάσει afin δε να ρωτήσει πώς τα ψεύτικα δάνεια έχουν έρθει.

Kim Plaintive said...

Oh wait, forgot the last step back to English.

This one went English-Dutch-French-Greek-English.

Kim Plaintive said...

Hey that I have wanted the member for a contracting part of annotation is! It should not I genuinely make, even if the work the new supervisor Mike has come in the past in that parelcontjki' moment i one partial blog has read touch ask how the false loans have come.

JLR said...

sheesh. Take a short two hour lunch break, and people go crazy with the blogging and the commenting and the translating.

JLR said...

sheesh. * to take to you a court zwei-Stunden-Mittagspause, and anybody to go with Blogging and to comment on it and translate it to move.

Amstaff Mom said...

"short" "two hour lunch" isn't that an oxymoron?

you were OBVIOUSLY missed.

I can't seem to stop capitalizing OBVIOUSLY. Neither can google.

JLR said...

OBVIOUSLY

Ben said...

That whole post for a... I won't be blogging much when school starts?

Hmmmm... I doubt that.

I took a blogging Hiatus and we all know how well that went.

Amanda Sue said...

sorry i fell off the earth. the electricity went off so i had to go shopping for nine hours.

Amanda Sue said...

I sadly fell far from the mass which became exhausted electricity, therefore I during nine hours were to go.

JLR said...

I really, really want to work "exhausted electricity" into a conversation.

NYgirl said...

I'm like that too. There are emails in my inbox I've been meaning to answer for nearly a month.