Monday, September 19, 2005

11 days, baby!

The State Fair starts in 11 days. That's right!

In anticipation, I visited the state fair website, and I have to take issue with the press release regarding the ABC so-called "Fun in the Sun" tour of their daytime soap "stars." In particular, I take issue with this statement: "Fans of "General Hospital" will enjoy meeting Scott Clifton." I'm not a fan of General Hospital, but I think it's a bit presumptuous to assume that if I were a fan, I'd automatically enjoy meeting "Dillon." Maybe I think that "Dillon" is a tool.

I am in a fabulous mood today. Fabulous.

I am not sure why. Maybe it’s because it's a work day so I get to see jes. Maybe it’s because I remembered to bring fingerless gloves to work so that my fingers don't get frostbite in this, the Arctic Circle.

But I think it’s just one of those days.

[warning—I’m about to go off on a tangent and show what a reverse snob I am]

In other news, I wore a fake Gucci watch today. Oh, excuse me—timepiece. I wore a fake Gucci timepiece today. Of course, I would never buy a real Gucci watch, and I don’t wear this one in the hopes that someone will think it’s real. If someone I’m friends with were to comment on it, I’d hastily assure him or her that it’s fake. So why do I wear it? Well, it’s pretty, for one thing. Also, it's fun wearing something that your mother bought from a guy selling watches in the street.

But more than that, I like to play “Spot the Judgmental Loser.” There are a lot of shallow, materialistic people out there, particularly at my school. And it’s fun to see who will suddenly be impressed with me now that I am wearing name-brand accessories.

The irony is not lost on me that I am judging people for being judgmental. In fact, irony is rarely lost on me. Take last Tuesday, for example, as I watched The Biggest Loser while stuffing my face with chocolate.

Anyway, I know I shouldn’t be judging these people, but laughing at them keeps me from despising them. Because it scares me that these people, who know nothing of life outside “the Bubble,” will one day be attorneys. Being a lawyer gives you tremendous power to do good things, and it saddens me to think of these people passing up that opportunity. I try to take a page from my friend kk’s book and not think badly of them. But because my natural inclination is to hope that horrible, bad things happen to them and that they die penniless, friendless, and alone, it’s a little hard to work myself into actually liking them. The best I can do is just laugh at them, and maybe feel sorry for them a little bit. These people don’t know what they’re missing because they make all of their lives about things.

But I digress. Despite the lecture from atop my soap box--I’m in a fabulous mood. I’m going to enjoy this beautiful day and thank God that I have a job and friends and school and so many wonderful opportunities, and thank Him for letting me have the life that I have, as imperfect as it may be. Go out today and do good things! You’ll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Amstaff Mom said...

"But because my natural inclination is to hope that horrible, bad things happen to them and that they die penniless, friendless, and alone"

That.was.hilarious.

You are in a fabulous mood today, aren't you? It reminds me of my private school days, where, since we weren't able to wear "normal" clothes,the accessories are what made you stand out. Yes, I fell for it. I had the Cole Haan shoes and the giant Dooney & Bourke drawstring purse. The later of which permanently curved my spine due to the collosal weight.

And the few and far between days that we were able to wear "normal" clothes, they were critiqued more closely than a Picaso.

kuvzcwly