Monday, September 05, 2005

The First Installment of the Impatient Chicken Movie Quote Quiz

Ok, folks, here it is. The movie quote quiz that I promised a long time ago. Rather than being a test of your ability to conduct internet searches, this is more like a personality or compatability test--I'm looking to compare your taste in movies to mine.

Here are the rules:

First, no cheating! Don't google these quotes or look them up any where else. The point is not to see how many you get right, but whether you like the same movies that I do. If you don't know the line, then it doesn't matter whether you can find the quote or not on the internet, you don't get to count it towards your score.

Second, on some of these quotes you have two chances, because in a number of instances, I used more than one quote from a movie. So maybe if you recognize one line, you'll then clue in to the other.

Third, I did these quotes from memory, so they may not be exactly right. But I promise that they are close enough that, if you've seen the movie and you're good at remembering lines, you'll know where they came from.

Fourth, I will tell you up front that there are no lines from Clue.

Fifth, Impatient Chicken is a broke student, so the winner gets only the privilege of liking the same movies that I do and a hearty (virtual) congratulatory handshake.

E-mail me your answers, don't post them, unless you want others to copy. I will post the correct answers sometime on Wednesday (hopefully).

Good luck! Without further ado, here they are:

(1) “Why can’t you be more like your brother? Harold would never beat up his landlord.”

(2) “You can stuff him, for all I care. Stuff him and put him in a glass case—only I’d suggest frosted glass.”

(3) “Are you Leo?”
“I am Big Leo.”
“This just says ‘Leo.’”
“We are the same, Leo and Big Leo.”

(4) “I won’t play the sap for you.”

(5) “That baby will be back at the orphanage before you get there, even!”

(6) “This your body, little man?”

(7) “Are we talking about the same man who once declared with total conviction that the late Colonel Howard had been bludgeoned to death with a blunt excrement?”

(8) “Where I come from, we get up in the morning!”
“Yes, and where did it get you, may I ask?”

(9) “So far, I’ve been in a train and a room and a car and a room and a room and a room.”

(10) “One of these days, one of you boys is going to start one of these scenes differently, and one of us girls is going to drop dead from surprise.”

(11) [Woman narrating what she’s observing from across the room.] “Look at that girl over to his left. Look over to your left, bookworm. There’s a girl pining for you . . . A little further . . . Just a little further . . . There, wasn’t that worth looking for? See those store teeth all beaming at you? Oh, she recognizes you! She’s up! She’s down! She can’t make up her mind. She’s up again. She recognizes you. She’s coming over to speak to you. The suspense is killing me. ‘Why for heavens sake, aren’t you Fuzzy Oathammer I went to manual training school with in Louisville? Oh, you’re not? Well, you certainly look exactly like him. It’s certainly a remarkable resemblance. Well, you’re not going to ask me to sit down, I suppose you’re not going to ask me to sit down, I’m very sorry, I hope I haven’t caused you any embarrassment, you so-and-so.’”

(12) “Simmer down, Minnie, you ain’t a rich widow yet.”

(13) “Please sir, can I have one to surge with, sir, please sir?”

(14) “In a few hours I would be free . . . or dead . . . or Rudolfo Lasperi of Palermo, Sicili.”

(15) Bonus: Where did the name Rudolfo Lasperi come from?

15 comments:

Amstaff Mom said...

Let me just say that this is not looking promising to me. Maybe after the last and final Dublin Dr. Pepper courses through my veins, I'll have some faint recollection of these lines, but for now, not so much.

jes said...

i am proud to announce that none of these were even REMOTELY familiar to me.

Deals On Wheels said...

RR doesn't get to play, right? Because that wouldn't be fair.

Katie said...

RR might have to play because I think the rest of us are striking out.

JLR said...

I'm so sad! Nobody likes the same movies that I do!

Holly said...

I too join the ranks of not knowing these quotes, but do I get points for knowing who Wallace and Grommit are?


Holly

MsThang said...

Phew, I thought I was the only one who didn't know those lines. I am a much happier person now knowing that I am not a COMPLETE loser!

Amstaff Mom said...

Even Dublin Dr. Pepper didn't help me. Maybe I need another one. hint, hint.

steve said...

Well I only know 2! Guess its because they are "Music" ones...

1) Is The Wedding Singer
9) Beatles "HArd days Night"

RR said...

Steve: Oh, bravo! I was thinking that I was going to have to start dropping hints, if JLR would let me.

Amanda Sue said...

yeah, here is a quote for ya:

"I don't know any of those movie quotes! Maybe I need to spend more time in front of the telly!"

JLR said...

Bravo, Steve!

The correct answers:
(1) The Wedding Singer
(2) The Trouble With Harry (1955)
(3) The Freshman (1990)
(4) The Maltese Falcon (1941)
(5) Bachelor Mother (1939)
(6) The Trouble With Harry
(7) Without a Clue (1988)
(8) The Lady Eve (1941)
(9) A Hard Day’s Night (1964)
(10) Remember the Night (1940)
(11) The Lady Eve
(12) The Long, Hot Summer (1958)
(13) A Hard Day’s Night
(14) The Freshman
(15) A character in the movie A Night at the Opera (1935)

jes said...

yeah. i've seen none of those movies. perhaps we shouldn't be friends anymore.

we're in a fight.

Amstaff Mom said...

I haven't watched Without a Clue YET. You just told me about it this weekend. And I've never seen the other ones.

And I THOUGHT I knew a Hard Day's Night, but evidently it was just the chorus.

Sorry I let you down...

Ben said...

I have ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY no clue about any of these movies...

Ahahahahahaha....

Are you SURE these are movies??