Monday, October 10, 2005

Halloween 1997

I love Halloween. I absolutely love it. There's just something about the decorations, and the getting dressed up, and the . . . ok, ok, it's the free candy, alright? I get very excited about it.

RR and I have always enjoyed it. Well, mostly always. Certainly for the last 10 years or so. I'll go into details about why before that was kind of hit or miss in another post.

Halloween 1997 was a good Halloween. RR and I decided to go a party. But not just any party. An enormous block party. We decided we'd dress up for it.

I decided to go as Little Red Riding Hood. I had the costume left over from a previous Halloween, and it beat my "Halloween costume" t-shirt. It also seemed to go with my hair, which I had recently dyed a perfectly lovely shade of magenta, and which had settled into a very dark color indeed. Going with the children story theme, RR decided to go as Gretel (as in Hansel and), again partly because she had a dress that would work for it.

On that night, someone snapped our picture, which is one of the few pictures with me in it that I actually like. I like it for a number of reasons. For one thing, RR and I look genuinely happy and don't have that stupid fake smile pasted on our faces. RR also looks extraordinarily tan, which she certaily was not in real life. I was pretty thin at the time (before the middle-aged weight gain I'm experiencing now), but that doesn't account for the fact that my stalk-like ankles look so trim and dainty in the picture. Also, for some reason, I am wearing rr's shoes, and she is wearing mine.

I also like the picture because it captured an era in our lives. No fancy furniture in our first apartment, no sir. We had true college student furnishings. In the picture you can see the chair and ottoman that had been in our family for a long time. The chair was missing a leg and would tilt and unceremoniously dump you on the floor if you weren't careful. In that chair my friend Kara would balance precariously and sit for extended periods of time, holding my cat Wally like a baby--the only time before or since that he has ever consented to be held like that. In front of that chair are my "cut boots"--the boots I would wear to Bonfire cut ("cut" is when you would go out into the woods and chop down the trees; "stack" is when you build the Bonfire--we Aggies don't go for creativity in naming things).

You can also see the interesting couch that we got from a coworker of my mom. We needed a sofa after hils moved out and took her far more interesting-looking couch with her. This sofa was huge and quite comfortable. Next to the sofa was our cheap table from Wal-mart that served as our end table. This is exactly the same type of table that BF/R accidentally lit on fire once, a fact which we hid from rr for some time for fear that she would take away our candles (she did).

On the wall behind us, you can see the one tiny picture that we hung up on the wall as our only decoration. It looked woefully out of place. And my favorite thing of all is what you can only see if you look very closely; in the picture it looks like a very small dark spot in the wall. RR was taking French and German and decided that she needed to improve her vocabulary, so she labeled almost everything in the apartment with index cards. On the card would be the French, German, and for good measure, Spanish word for that thing. On the wall behind us, you can sort of see the card for sofa/sofá/sofa/divan.

I love this picture so much that I'm willing to share it--only not with our faces in it (see previous post about introverts and being a very private person).

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

7 comments:

MsThang said...

haha, I love the picture! And very nice ankles indeed!

Amstaff Mom said...

Y'all are so cute! I think. Do I get an emailed copy of the picture WITH your faces? Since I've already seen you, and it's safe with a fellow introvert. RR is looking especially tan in the photo.

And "middle-aged weight gain"?!?!

Puh-lease!

Do we get to see pictures of you dressed as Miss White and Scarlett, respectively?

RR said...

I, too, love that photograph/photographie/Fotografie/fotografia.

And I also love the free candy at Halloween. Now that I'm too old to trick-or-treat, I buy more candy than I'll need for the kiddos. That way I at least have an excuse to buy candy.

JLR said...

Msthang: :)

AM: No really, I do have middle aged weight gain! I have put on probably a good 15 to 20 pounds since that picture was taken. I prefer to blame it on getting older, and not my fondness for unhealthy foods and general dislike of exercise.

Deals On Wheels said...

Wait! RR isn't smelling a flower in this one!

There really is no question as to which-is-which. Why do you look so much taller, though? Because you are both "wee-people"! Hehe...Aggies!!

And...uh...question:

RR - were you NOT too old to trick-or-treat at age 21?

RR said...

Deals: No. Well, yes, I guess. We didn't actually go trick-or-treating that night.

jes said...

awwwww, you guys look so cute!! i wish it had your faces in it, though. sad.