Friday, October 07, 2005

State Fair: Round 1

I have to say that tonight I had The.Best.Time.Ever. RR and I went to the fair.

Weather-wise, it couldn't have been more perfect. Cool but not cold. Also, it wasn't too terribly crowded, the way it usually is when we go during the day.

First items on the menu: Chicken biscuit and cheddar sweet potato fries. [for review of food items, see RR's blog].

Then we went and got Fletcher's corny dogs. RR has a friend who said hers was disappointing this year, but I gotta say, mine was muy delicioso.

Then we went on the Midway and watched the Killdares, who I wanted to see last year but didn't get a chance.

Then we got to see the last part of the parade. I was unhappy about the blockbuster signage everywhere, but other than that, it was wonderfully cheesy. My favorite part (other than the the world-champion Gymnast in a Wheel)? The Shriners, of course. They play musical instruments.

After that we bought our birthday fudge (every year we buy fudge from this one stand and freeze it, and then we eat it on our birthday--it freezes very well).

Then we walked back and sat on the steps of the Hall of State and watched the last part of an incredible sunset. We didn't want to wait around for the laser light show, although I had never seen it, and we were not yet uncomfortably full, and we didn't want to waste the room in our stomachs (hey, don't judge--the fair comes but once a year). We walked down to the Desperado's stand but then decided we didn't have enough room to do justice to the Desperados Tacos (we love those tacos), so we walked back towards the Hall of State for some fried cheesecake.

By that time, the laser light show had started, so we ate our cheesecake and saw a little of the lights and fireworks. I got to hear them play that classic rock station staple "Dream Weaver," which I love (I know, but I love it, so shut up). Then we beat it out of there before the dancing hamster song came on, because let's face it, if that gets stuck in your head, it pretty much stays for days.

*sigh*

The only thing that could have made it better would have been if our regular fair buddy could have gone, too. I never had me a better time, and I guess I never will.

9 comments:

Ben said...

JLR-

Does your gut hurt yet?? ;)

Glad fun was had by all.

Ben said...

BTW...

I'm First!

lol.

Ben said...

And second and third...

Deals On Wheels said...

but not fourth...HA!

Deals On Wheels said...

Sounds like you two had fun.

I had sushi.

So, yeah, that was healthy.

And, now, I'm home. I'm home on a Friday night. With my dogs. But otherwise alone.

My boyfriend is at a party. A party. Without me. He's at a party with a bunch of my "friends" who didn't invite me.

So, yeah. Tonight is going well.

I knew there was a reason I never left work. I mean, what's the point?

Sigh.

Ben said...

I'm Sixth though! HA. HA. HA!

RR said...

You guys crack me up.

Ben: in answer to your question about my gut hurting, I"ll answer you with my word verification: ncakc. That's how I feel.

But I don't care--RR and I are going back next weekend.

Deals: Oh, sad for you! You should have called us! We could have watched Galaxy Quest!

JLR said...

whoops. That was me, not rr. Ah, the problems with sharing a computer.

Amstaff Mom said...

So glad you had a great time at the fair. I so wanted to see y'all and Deals, but alas, it didn't work out. My corny dog was outstanding. OUTSTANDING. Caramel apple was good for the first two slices and then I was done with it. Got my fresh squeezed lemonade, rode the Texas Star for the first time since it opened. It was a fabulous time.

I can just picture y'all walking around the fair, eating the same food doing the same thing. Y'all are too cute.