Thursday, December 15, 2005

Oh, the vacuum, she sucks, though she costs muchos bucks, that's amore

I love animals. I just love them. I always have. I would have tried to be a vet, except for my tiny little allergy problem, and the fact that I hate seeing things in pain. And the allergies. But I just love them, which is why I have two cats anyway despite the watery eyes, sneezing, and the sometimes throat scratchiness, and, as soon as I have a house with a yard, I will also have at least one dog and then any stray that shows up at my door, and, if that all goes ok, a bird.

But you can imagine that with two cats, I have a bit of an animal hair issue. That’s ok, if you love animals, you learn to make sacrifices, and what’s a little pet hair? But I do feel bad if I have visitors. Which I don’t. Because of the pet hair. How much worse would it be if I had more pets?

I have a decent vacuum, but it’s getting older and doesn’t have quite the same suck-up-the-carpet quality I used to love it for. The other day, I had a nice conversation with Deals about her new vacuum, the DYSON, which she speaks of with such awe that it is though she is speaking in all capitals when she says its name. And now I want one.

She has the DYSON that is especially for pet hair (the Animal). Apparently, the DYSON lives up to its reputation. And as much as I hate to reward people who already congratulate themselves more than is perhaps good for the soul, it seems that the DYSON guy, of the “I am so awesome and so is my vacuum” commercials, was on to something. I’d like to find out for myself.

Also apparently, Deals is going out of town for the day on Saturday. And apparently, rr had said she’d look in on “the girls” if Deals needed her to. What I wanted to know was, could we also look in on “the Animal.” Maybe we could borrow it for the day? Despite my constant prodding, rr kept “forgetting” to ask Deals because, as she explained it to me, “unlike you [snicker], it’s not that big of a priority for me.” Huh. Well, we’ll see if you feel the same way after you vacuum up mound-o-hair from the carpet, carpet that you just vacuumed with your regular vacuum. Uh-huh.

Of course, I totally would have understand if Deals had said no, because it’s always possible that the lint-roller-defying hair of our cats would prove to be too much for any one vacuum, and I don’t want to break her new toy, which she has talked about without being asked in the last two conversations I’ve had with her. Ok, once I asked. But the other time, she brought it up on her own. So she could have said no, and I wouldn’t blame her, because that baby’s expensive. But, yea, she said yes.

Maybe the vacuum won’t live up to expectations. But I am very excited to say that this weekend, I’m gonna find out.

[And while you’re at it, grab her copy of Galaxy Quest. It’s been too long since I’ve heard Sigourney Weaver say “Let’s get out of here before one of those things kills Guy.”]

13 comments:

Katie said...

Dyson vacuuming and Galaxy Quest, whoa girl now don't go doing everything at once you might wear yourself out

:)

You make me smile (as evidenced by the smiley face)

jes said...

THE DYSON VACUUM. It totally deserves all caps.

We have friends that recently got one, and they love it, but I don't recall them talking about it incessantly and without being asked. Of course, they may not have The Animal, since they have no animals, except that really young one that Brandy just gave birth to. But I'm not so sure she wants me referring to her daughter as an animal.

And so, it is possible that they REALLY DON'T KNOW ITS POTENTIAL, and considering that, it seems they don't even deserve to have such an appliance.

THE DYSON. It is a fun color. AND, if you bought one last month, they were giving away a FREE Dyson toy. A baby vacuum for kids to play with and push around! AND IT IS PURPLE!!

Ben said...

I just TOTALLY sang the title of this post Frank Sinatra Style...

K, be right back...

I will read the post now.

Ben said...

Hm. That you can get THAT excited about a vacuum is beyond me.

Can you play video games with it?? Listen to CD's with it? Send text messages while vacuuming?

NOW that would bem something to get excited about.

BlondGirl said...

Three dogs, two with long hair, and a Himalyan cat. I feel your pain. I've never heard of the DYSON. It sounds like it is just up my alley particularly since my Eureka just bit the dust.

EmmaSometimes said...

I like the Dyson guy...I think the accent even makes him sound 10 IQ points higher. plus yellow vacuums are just plain cool.

The place I get my sewing machine yearly maint. is also a vacuum repair place. They gave me an earful on what sucks...or doesn't for that matter.

PS. ben, lol!! Sinatra-esqe is good but Dean made that song amore

Lia said...

Now I know. The vacuum at my place needs replacing at least once a year. We were finally going to invest in an Oreck, because of the Oreck guy. I never even heard of Dyson. Maybe because I don't have pets?

Amstaff Mom said...

So carpets bother you and countertops bother RR, is that right? Y'all are too funny.

Ben said...

Where'd you go??

Get sucked up by that Dyson Vacuum?

Deals On Wheels said...

I should make my own post about the DYSON...

Yes, I LOVE it THAT much!!

David said...

Hoover, if it were not so great they would not have named all those public places after it! Hoover Dam, etc???
oh well I came over from Sydney's coffee shop what did you expect?

JLR said...

Katie: no worries, I'm pacing myself. :)

crystal: You should totally check it out. I recommend borrowing one from someone to see for yourself. That is, if you can pry one away from its loyal owner.

ben: obviously you do not have cat allergies from cats who have seemingly un-suck-up-able hair, or you, too, would be excited about a vacuum. Or maybe Syd does all the cleaning around your place, so you don't know how amazing a great vacuum can be? Interesting.

Jenny Bee: Although I know Deals totally agrees with you, there's just something about him that makes me feel contrary. But he invented a great vacuum, so he must be really smart.

lia: You've never heard of a Dyson? Clearly, you do not watch enough tv.

David: welcome! Thanks for stopping by!

AM: I am surprised that you didn't work a Clue/Hoover reference into your comment.

Jes: given the scary neatness of your apartment, I'm surprised that you don't have one already.

Amstaff Mom said...

"And why are you getting phone calls from J. Edgar Hoover? The head of the Federal Bureau of Investigation???" (said with raspy, breathy voice)

"I don't know, he's on everyone else's phone, why shouldn't he be on mine?"

*gives broom to cop*

Sorry I let you down, JLR.