Tuesday, February 14, 2006

None of this would be necessary if I didn't have to follow a schedule.

I can't remember if I've blogged about this before, but I don't like getting up in the mornings. I love sleeping, and I love my bed. But it isn't always a conscious choice, sometimes I honestly don't remember hitting snooze. Other days it's a very deliberate decision. And I guess I'm not the only one out there, because some people have been getting very creative.

I may have mentioned before the clocky alarm clock that I want. When you hit snooze, it rolls away, and the next time the alarm goes off, you have to find it. Then I heard about the alarm clock that goes off when it senses when your body is at the optimal time to wake up. Today I read about a few more that I thought I'd share with you:

(1) But what if we aren't mentally awake until after the coffee? This alarm clock requires you to assemble a jigsaw puzzle to get it to stop. Pass.

(2) This one requires a small element of coordination, and all who know me can say, that's more than I have. It hangs from the ceiling, and everytime you hit snooze, it gets closer to the ceiling, making it harder and harder to turn off.

(3) How is this going to get me out of bed? Timex makes an alarm clock that will emit Glade scents. Why spend money on this? It might make waking up more pleasant, but it won't make it any more likely. Better would be, as this gizmodo suggests, to "just put your coffee maker on a $5 timer." Now if they could come up with one that rolls away and emits a really foul odor, I think we might have a winner.

Ideas? Anyone?

7 comments:

Amstaff Mom said...

Let's just do away with alarm clocks and sleep as long as we need to? We'll get there when we get there, people.

At least these were my thoughts at 5:20 this morning.

How do I realize "all of a sudden" that I have to get up?

I have some memory of glancing at the alarm clock at 5:05 to hit snooze. Fainter memories of Brian saying, "you're gonna be late". Then, all of a sudden, I realize it a 5:24??? Why is it an epihany then and not at 5:05? What REALLY happens to your brain when you sleep? I don't think I want to know.

And those alarm clocks are just horrid.

Ben said...

Once it reaches the ceiling and you can no longer reach it? Then what do you do? "Get your Ladder out??"

Who was the village idiot that thought of that one?

jes said...

how in the world do you ever find these alarm clocks? i really liked the one that rolls away and hides, but then what if it gets somewhere under my bed and i can't reach it? or, what if it has no where to roll?

JLR said...

ben: exactly! although, maybe the thought that if it reaches the ceiling, you'll never get it down again, is what is supposed to motivate you to get out of bed right away--and stay up?

jes: that is my problem with clocky. There's absolutely no place in my room for it to roll, because I have about 2 square feet of uncluttered floor space, period. So it really wouldn't be enough of a challenge to find and turn off, so I would just get back into bed.

AM: amen, sister!

EmmaSometimes said...

now this is an alarm clock Rock N Roll Chicken Alarm

They don't make it anymore as you can see the cost on ebay/

my best friend had one that was so entirely loud, "HEY BABY WAKE UP...COME AND DANCE WITH ME" I think I actually wet my bed once with this alarm.

EmmaSometimes said...

ps. Not a morning person either. I can see you getting out your ladder bleary eyed...well, maybe I can't because I don't know what you look like and have never been to your house. Sratch that... I can imagine me getting on a ladder bleary eyed....

JLR said...

jb: I KNOW SOMEONE WHO HAD THAT ALARM CLOCK! It really, really, really, really, really freaked me out.

I have a friend who has this one:http://www.fun-clocks.com/
item382028.ctlg. It's wonderful in a "that's too awful not to be fake" kind of way.