Tuesday, February 07, 2006

You say it’s your birthday . . . and I guess I’ll have to take your word for it.

My friend’s birthday is coming up. It’s on February 10th. We've been friends since 1995. When we first became friends, I knew when her birthday was. It wasn’t a problem. But then something happened. And that something was my brain. Never, never let my brain get involved in something.

First, she told me that her dad always got confused on what day her birthday was. But he didn’t confuse it with Valentine’s Day, which would make sense; he thought it was on February 9th. I took that and ran with it. From there my brain remembered that my dad’s birthday is in January, and when I was younger I remembered that by saying it was near Valentine’s day but a month earlier, and then I decided that my friend’s birthday must be in January, not February. Because if I was confusing my dad’s January birthday with a February birthday, then I must only think her birthday is in February because it’s really in January and I’m just confusing myself. Then I finally figured out that it was February, not January (after getting it wrong for forever), but decided it was February 9th, not 10th. And the other day when I looked at my calendars going back for the past 8 years, and they all said February 10th, I decided that they were all wrong and I was now, finally, getting it right, and it was really February 9th.

But it’s not. It’s February 10th.

So please don’t be offended if I don’t remember when your birthday is. Seriously, if I may quote, “it’s like a slot machine up there” in my brain, and so there’s no telling what the output will be. I’m lucky I can figure out how to put my pants on in the morning.

12 comments:

Amstaff Mom said...

whew. maybe you should write her "non-birthday" date on your calendar too, so that next year, you can see which days it's NOT, therefore eliminating some of the confusion.

Is y'alls next month? Springtime?

Ben said...

Wait. I am confused...

Is her birthday in April?

(Figured I might as well try to throw another month in there to confuse you even more.)

lol.

RR said...

February 10th. Hmm. What are the odds that we'll actually remember that next year? At least we figured it out this year. Well, I say figured it out. We actually had to call our friend and ask her when her birthday was. It was rather embarrassing. At least we didn't have to use "covert ops" to sneak a look at the calendar hanging in her laundry room to try to figure out when her birthday is, which is what the three of us did a few years ago.

Deals On Wheels said...

When you think of me, just think of the number 8. Forwards or backwards, it's all the same (good thing for me that it is dyslexic-proof).

:D

jes said...

reading this, it's hard to believe you're in the top of your class in law school.

we all excel in different things. for you, it's just not remembering dates. or putting on your pants.

JLR said...

Ben: thanks, that helps.

AM: Yep, spring.

I mean, no, I'm not having anymore birthdays. I'm very happy with my current age and I'm not getting any older.

rr: I do not remember that.

Deals: Um, ok. I will think of you and the number 8 together from now on. And the letter "D." Deals, brought to you by . . . the number 8 . . . AND . . . the letter D.

Jes: I KNOW! This reminds me of the story [that somehow I manage to remember and tell ALL THE TIME] when our mutual boss told me that the two most important qualities you need to have to be a good lawyer are organization [yea, I thought, that's me] . . . and a good memory [at which point I thought, great, I'm screwed].

I had to ask a guy in the elevator yesterday what day it was. No, wait, that was the day before yesterday.

And about an hour ago I thought, "man, good thing today's Friday," which of course, IT'S NOT.

I have decided that my brain only has so much space, so it keeps school-related stuff, the lines to almost every movie I've seen, and my sister's social security number, but that's it.

Amstaff Mom said...

It keeps your sister's SSN. HA HA. That was funny. Yeah, I remember Brian's better than my own. What's up with that?

And I remember license plates from cars we had when I was a kid, but I can't remember the one on my car now??

My memory is getting lethargic on me.

I'm with ya on the birthday thing. The three of us, no, the four of us (I'll include Trevor) will not have a birthday this year. So let it be written, so let it be done.

movie lines - I quote Clue to myself, and to everyone else who looks at me quizzicly when I say a quote that they have absolutely no idea where I got it. It's the same look I usually get though, I think.

EmmaSometimes said...

maybe you should let her choose the day she wants. (okay, whatever)LOL!

Katie said...

dude forget the pants and go for skirts, much easier to put on and if they are backwards it isn't as noticeable

on another note, I just forget everyone's birthday as if it is on purpose, it's my thing you see so I can play it off as if I do it on purpose when it is accidental, but there is purpose behind it being accidental and then recovering from the accident, so I think that really it is my purposeful accidental thing that works for me

got that?

JLR said...

well, that made sense to me.

HMc said...

JLR: you don't remember the laundry room calendar sneaking of birthday because it was K, RR, and I, in D's laundry room. It was fruitless, because she didn't list her own birthday. I guess she remembers it without having to write it down. Unfortunately, I *still* only remember the month for hers. Sad. Sad and pathetic.

HMc said...

k,rr, and me. sorry.