Friday, March 10, 2006

Today's Installment of "What the . . . ?"

Yes, I have not posted in almost a month. It really hasn't felt like that long, though, because I've been crazy busy. I don't want to be "woe is me" here, because I know everyone is busy. But still. I honestly can't remember the last day off that I had. I work every day pretty much from the time I get up until the time I go to bed. Between school work, law review, and work, I'm always going. I feel like that scene in Indiana Jones where that giant boulder thing is rolling after him and he's just a few steps ahead of it.

I have finally finished doing my required public service hours, though. The school I attend makes us do 30 hours of public service. I think it's supposed to encourage us to do pro bono. Or maybe it's to show the pampered, spoiled kiddos I go to school with that life ain't always so grand outside "the bubble." I don't think it works, though, because they all seem to find cushy public service. Whatever. I'm graduating.

So anyway, the place I was doing my public service, I was in this office, and someone, at some point in the timeline of its existence as an office, had decided to "decorate." No doubt this person thought she was doing a good thing--you know, make it a little more "home-y" or something. But . . . not so much.

There was this painting on the wall, and it was neither well-executed nor appropriate. I mean, it wasn't indecent or anything, it was just . . . I don't know how to describe it. There was like this face, and then below it or around it, I can't remember, there was some kind of wolf or something, and I think it was supposed to be evocative of Native Americans? But it looked more like the cover of a fantasy/sci-fi book written by a 15-year-old boy that he illustrated himself. It had a Napolean Dynamite flair to it, only it was more disturbing than that. It did not feel appropriate for the office, which has nothing to do with Native Americans or sci-fi. I don't know. I really can't describe it well, except to say that everytime I saw it, I thought "WHY is that in here?"

But the real kicker was the figurine on the windowsill. I did an actual double-take then step in and squint at it, "what the heck is that?" type situation. I just . . . I don't actually have words to describe this. It offended me, because something about it tells me that I should be offended by it, and it repulsed me, because it is repulsive. I don't understand it. I am freaked out by it. I was freaked out at working some place where someone thought it was a good idea to display it.

I don't know how to describe it, so I'll just show you. The picture isn't great because I took it with my camera phone, but I think you'll get the idea.

Image hosting by Photobucket

You see? Here, let's get a little closer:

Image hosting by Photobucket

YOU SEE?

8 comments:

EmmaSometimes said...

It's good to know you were missed though. YEAH! Good for graduation.

that thing is evil looking in a gremlin kind of way. Do they eyeballs follow you around the room or can you even see them? Maybe it shoots lasers. Maybe it doesn't but just don't turn your back to it...

EmmaSometimes said...

Maybe it was a souvenir for the opening of GNOMES GONE BAD?

JLR said...

That was the scary thing! It WAS behind me. It faced my uncomfortable, nervous, keenly-aware-of-the-staring back all day. I would have moved it, but that would have required me to touch it. Luckily, I was never there at night, when it surely turned into something freaky.

Amstaff Mom said...

FREAK.OUT. ugh. That thing gave me the heebie jeebies.

Sorry you've been so busy JLR. You deserve a break!

Deals On Wheels said...

Yep. It's creepy. I think you should destroy it, you know, for the good of humanity...

Ben said...

To think that that thing was actually replicated. Just think if you had to work in the factory of the buck tooth troll.

The thought makes me shiver.

Amstaff Mom said...

Please post something new, so that I don't have to keep seeing THAT picture everytime I want to comment. Please?

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

JLR said...

Thanks, AM!

Ben: I like to think of it as a one-of-a-kind. Which makes sense, because can't you see it being made by some freak puppet master or mad scientist a la every horror movie before the thing created goes horribly wrong?