Wednesday, April 05, 2006

ATTENTION: TAKING A POLL

Ok, so have you ever seen the movie Bridget Jones's Diary? There's this scene where they are in a bar (surprise) or club or something, and there's this song playing in the background. I don't know what the song really is, so don't ask me. But it sounds like the guy is singing "chewy chewy chewy chewy." At least, it does when, like me, you aren't really paying attention.

There are a lot of songs like that out there. You know, like "secret agent man" sounds like "secret asian man." And the song "Long Time Coming," by (the?) Delays, has a line that sounds like she's singing, "Threw your leg off in the lake, what'd you wanna go do that for?" I knew that wasn't what she was saying, but I decided I preferred it to whatever the line really was. Then I found out that the line is actually (supposedly) "threw your lego in the lake," which doesn't make sense either. So I stick to my version, and when the song comes on, rr and I sing our version loudly.

So . . . I'm taking a poll. What song line have you misheard, and knew at the time it was wrong? Or what line of song did you hear correctly but think it makes no sense? Please share, because I love purposefully singing songs incorrectly, and I need more songs in my repetoire.

9 comments:

Ben said...

When I was growing up, My brother thought Queen's "another one bites the dust" was "another one rides the bus."

Dant Dant Dant...
Another one rides the bus...
Dant Dant Dant...
Another one rides the bus...

And another one gone and another one gone... another one rides the bus!

Amstaff Mom said...

HA HA HA HA!!! I was laughing out loud Ben McMinn.

I'm sure there are plenty of lyrics I mess up, but there were two that my co-worker messed up on that we had fun with.

Kyrie Liason - Carry a Laser. Carry a Laser down the road less traveled. Carry a laser through the darkness of the night. (which actually makes sense by the way).

The other was the "I Come from the Land Down Under" song. Instead of "she gave me a vegamite sandwich" she thought it was "she took a bite of my sandwich".

Incidentally, we discovered this because she would sing crazily and off-key to her musicmatch songs at work, but it was great fine.

We decided to change Journey's "True love won't dessert you" to various desserts. True love won't pecan pie you, true love won't lemon meringue you, etc.

I know, craziness.

Katie said...

there is a country song that is called "dust on the bottle" and I swear it was "dust on the bible" but then when it gets to the part about going to a bootlegger or something I realized just how wrong I was

jes said...

what's that song about once loved twice bitten or something?

or the shot gun man? sharp dressed man?

i do not even know.

Deals On Wheels said...

My favorite one is "Send me on my way" by Rusted Root (RR has heard this story a MILLION times). For years I thought it was "Simmy the whale", and I'd sing my version whenever I heard the song. Then, during a car trip or something, this girl that I hardly knew told me what the real words were. It was embarrassing.

My second favorite (and, YES, RR has heard this one, too) is that Aerosmith song "Dream On" that goes:

"Sing with me, sing for the years
Sing for the laughter, sing for the tears

Sing with me, just for today
Maybe tomorrow, the good Lord will take you away"


Well, my brother thought the words were something like:

"Sing women, sing for a year,
Sing from the left, and sing Mama Tia

Sing all you women, if just for today
Maybe tomorrow the good Lord will take you away”


Totally cracked me up. I think of him singing those words (and thinking they were the actual, for-real lyrics) every time I hear that song. Hehe…

Jayleigh said...

There was a TV ad a few years ago featuring Pour Some Sugar On Me by def leppard and they sang Pour some shook-up ramen. Ooh in the name of love.

Amstaff Mom said...

HA HA HA DEALS!! That's one of my favorite songs. Mama Tia!?!? Where did he get that one from?? Hilarious.

amy said...

I worship Bridget Jones but have no clue the song you are thinking off..... great template though.

JLR said...

ben: you should know that now rr and I have adopted that version of the song. It comes in so handy! The other day, for example, she was going on a bus tour and had to help make sure that everyone got on the bus.

asp: thanks! The reason you can't recognize the song is because of course that's not even close to what the guy is actually singing. I think it's the scene where her friend is doing something with his cell phone, maybe replacing the cover or something? It's been a long time since I've seen it.