Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Hick Hits Worsen Whirs*

Yeesh.

Well, it’s done. I’ve taken the bar exam. Don’t ask me how it went, because I don’t know. I was so exhausted afterwards, and for some reason, my legs were tired, like I’d been running.

The first day was short answer, and it was awful, I mean awful. It's super frustrating to have spent all this time preparing and then be presented with a bunch of questions you can't answer. I just didn’t know the answers. It’s the part of the test where they ask you procedure questions, and it’s just a question and then five lines where you write in the answer, with no room for guessing your way through it. If they ask you what motion you should file to object to a subpoena of a corporation and what should it assert, you just have to know the answer. And I didn’t so much know the answers; my mind just went totally blank on about half the questions. It didn’t help that the night before we had wound up in a smoking room at the hotel and it reeked. Fortunately we were able to change rooms the next night.

The second day was multiple choice, so I don’t have any clue how I did, but I will say the morning part seemed ok, and the afternoon part was much more difficult. I kept thinking, “ok, the next question, I’ll know the answer. Ok, the next question, I’ll know the answer.” My friend Mere said on the morning part, question 85 was the first one she knew the answer to. That’s how I felt in the afternoon. They ask you a question, and you look at it, and you think you know the answer, but the answer you pick just isn’t one of the choices.

The third day was essay day. The morning went alright, but in the afternoon, I just had to make stuff up. So we’ll see. Keep praying for me. I don’t find out if I passed until November.

I also felt bad for RR, because she was trying to take care of me, and our cats, and our parents’ dog at the same time. She was run pretty ragged for those three days.

In other news, RR told me last Wednesday night that the vet had called her and informed her that one of our cats has bone cancer, and they have to amputate her leg. We took her in the day after the bar exam to have it done. It may not seem like a big deal to non-pet people out there, but it is very difficult for us. We love with all our hearts these sweet little critters who give us so much. The vet, who’s really, really sweet, assured us that it’s much harder on the humans than it is on their pets. He also told us that cats have a much higher rate of survival with bone cancer than do humans, and while he can’t make any guarantees, her prognosis is good. But we’re still having a hard time with it, and to make it worse, ever since we brought her home, she won’t come out from underneath rr’s bed except at night when we’re asleep.

And, finally, we are now frantically trying to pack up all our stuff so that we can move in about a week. Pray for us on that as well, because moving is just so expensive. I really hate moving. We’ve been packing, but it seems like no matter how much we pack, the amount of stuff that’s unpacked doesn’t go down, so there’s just STUFF.EVERYWHERE.

In the meantime, I don’t know what to do with myself. I can’t shake that “I’m feeling guilty about looking at this magazine because really I should be doing something” feeling. I don’t know when this is going to go away. I ran into two of my classmates at Target today, and they were experiencing similar emotions. They are about to leave for Scotland and Ireland, though, whereas rr and I get to spend our vacation money on the move. Not quite the same. But at least we have some place to move to, and for awhile there we were worried about finding a place. So we’re just trying to stay positive.

On a happier note, we at least will soon have some free time to sit around and watch movies or read all day, and not feel guilty about it. We’re looking forward to that. And who knows, maybe we’ll actually have more time for blogging!

*the title for this post comes from the game Mad Gabs--if you don't know what it says, try saying it several times out loud.

5 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

I know it doesn't change anything, but I've watched enough Animal Planet to know that animals take to amputation very, very well - especially if it is one of the hind legs, like in Gabby's case. I've known several three-legged dogs, and they've always been just as happy and active has their four-legged peers. One even played Frisbee better than Gypsy Kitty!

Congratulations on finishing the Bar. I bet you did fine! Trevor and I are still more than willing to help you four move – just let us know when and where! I’ll also have a 3 day weekend next weekend, so I’ll be available next Friday, too.

jes said...

While we're telling all: I'm jealous of the sitting around and reading and watching movies and making thirty trips to Central Market for chocolate and nacho cheese dip.

Amstaff Mom said...

Ahh, got the title (finally). I ate lunch with my friend who took the bar with you, and she said the exact same things if that makes you feel better. She added the part about people leaving half-way through and tossing their cookies in the bushes as well.

Sounds like you two are in store for a much-deserved break (after the move, I guess). I'm sorry to hear about your cat. That would be very hard for me as well, so I really do empathize. I'm sure she will rebound in no time.

Seriously, if you need help moving, give me a holler. I've done it way too much lately, and consider myself semi-pro. :)

take care JLR

Ben said...

HEY! You're done! (hopefully.) I will pray that you passed! Congrats on being done!

EmmaSometimes said...

I hope the move goes well, and economically.

And you have to wait until November?!! Why so long? Do they enjoy torture?