Thursday, December 28, 2006

Now Taking Suggestions.

I need a new website to read in my down time. I am admittedly hooked on TwoP and EW, but one can only hit refresh on the browser, wishing vainly for new content to be posted, so many times in one (work) day. And as much as I love the Surrealist Compliment Generator ("Thine right eye so plitherates that thine left eye doth graze upon it."), but after a bit, it just seems to keep kicking up the ones you just read. So I need something new to read, and I am now taking your suggestions as to what that should be.

Some rules, though: I don’t want any suggestions for people.com or the like. Clearly, I do not mind websites that offer little in the way of intellectual stimulation–I do read EW. But I read EW because I like movies, tv, and music, and that website has precious little in the way of celebrity gossip. What celebrities are up to, I could not care less. Brittany and K-Fed divorcing? Don’t care. Paris Hilton or Lindsay Lohan wasting more oxygen? Other than taking offense on the behalf of the rest of humanity that we have to share the same planet with them, don’t care. I can pretend to care with the best of them, but when you speak of such things to me, note the glazing of the eyes as I shift my intellectual resources so that I use just enough brain power to keep breathing, standing upright, and pretending to appear interested. No sense in wasting energy.

It’s not that I think less of you if you are interested in such things. I mean, I kind of do, but then I catch myself and remind myself that so many people are interested in that twaddle, that if I were to let myself feel superior to all of them, then I would become one of those really arrogant intellectual snobs, the ones that look down on anyone who didn’t graduate from college, because obviously anyone who didn’t go to college is stuck somewhere a few steps back in the evolution chain and is incapable of understanding anything more complicated than a zipper. I don’t like those snobs. So, yeah, I don’t think less of you, it’s just that I don’t get it. I don’t understand why the lives of people you do not know and will never meet are in any way interesting to you. And since some of my very closest friends subscribe to Us Weekly, I guess I could ask for an explanation, but even that is something I don’t care about. I don’t care about why you care.

So, anyway, no such suggestions, please.

Also, if you suggest other people’s blogs, make sure they are actually interesting, because just as I am generally not interested in the lives of famous people I do not know, likewise I am generally not interested in the lives of non-famous people that I do not know. But if the reading is entertaining, then I’m there. I just don't want to read pages and pages of "today I went to the grocery store," or "omg, I was so wasted."

And as a caveat to the above rant against celebrity gossip, I do sometimes enjoy websites that make fun of celebrities. So, for example, occassionally, I like to visit GoFugYourself, not because it makes fun of celebrities, but because sometimes it’s also very funny. So just because it mentions celebrities, doesn’t mean you can’t suggest it.

Ok, is there anyone left with a good suggestion that I haven’t scared off or annoyed? Anyone?

7 comments:

RR said...

If only you could watch something at work, instead of just reading. In2Tv has some pretty cool ways to pass the time, namely, watching episodes of old tv shows. I'll give you a really big hint as to what I watched this afternoon. The episode description reads, in part, "Only Wonder Woman can tackle the assignment..."

Deals On Wheels said...

What does the EW stand for? Because I read it as "Ew" (as in "gross"). I clicked on the link, though, and found nothing Ew (as in "gross") on it. Thus, I'm guessing it means something else.

JLR said...

deals--You are correct, Entertainment Weekly ("EW") is not the least bit "ew".

Amstaff Mom said...

Ohhh. I thought it was ewwwww too.

Another good blog besides our little group is http://palepage.com

I like her thoughts. And she's pretty funny. Just a suggestion if you're looking.

Deals On Wheels said...

Ah. Thanks. I figured you didn't read anything Ew (as in "gross") since you don't even like sweating. :P

JLR said...

AM: I went and looked at palepage, and I liked it. Good suggestion! Thanks!

Amstaff Mom said...

I saw that you commented on Tracey's blog. Glad you liked it!