Monday, January 29, 2007

Coffee News

MSN has an article today about one of my favorite topics—coffee. It is MSN, so I don't take it as gospel, and I do not believe everything that I read even when it isn’t MSN, but taking everything they say with caution, it’s still an interesting read. Apparently, coffee doesn’t cause dehydration (although I always feel cotton-mouthed after I drink a cup a joe) (“I’m so dry, I’m spittin’ cotton!”) (I never get to say that), but it can cause your blood pressure to spike (but we knew that). Also, caffeine needs 60 to 90 minutes to work its way into your bloodstream—I knew it took some time, but I thought about half that. And apparently, so did whoever wrote this other MSN article. Either way, this just confirms what I already believed, that the cheeriness I experience while drinking my first cup in the morning is purely psychological. A point in coffee’s favor: coffee consumption might help protect against Parkinson’s disease. And to conclude our coffee info tour this morning, I knew that espresso had less caffeine than regular brew, but I didn’t know that a regular cup of coffee has anywhere from 3 to 5 times as much caffeine.

This article also contained a link to a different article, “Know Your Joe,” which you also might find interesting.

P.S. The second part of Jane Eyre aired last night, and it was fabulous, as expected. Some people who didn't like the book when they read (*cough*katie*cough*) might consider giving the movie a try.

6 comments:

Amstaff Mom said...

Hey! You TOTALLY stole my post.

I have no need to post now. None. Nunca. Zippo. :)

I was going to say that my coffee needs to get to work, but apparently I need to give it more time.

I didn't start watching Jane Eyre until after 9pm, (I was a good girl and took my quiz for my online class first). I ended up staying up way past 11pm and had to get up at 5 this morning. I'm pooped!

You're right though, it was FABULOUS.

Although I did get a kick out it when she was saying how his "black" hair was all unruly. Looked a bit reddish to me, no?

I always pictured him more scarred than that too. I think he looked more scarred in that Bond movie I kept picturing him in than this one.

What a wonderful story though. I'll have to see it again.

JLR said...

I already responded to your comment, but apparently blogger ate it.

Anyway, to recap: POST ANYWAY! Two thoughts are better than one.

Katie said...

AHAHAHAHAHA

well since you went ahead and called me out I will admit something to you (and only you)

I was flipping channels on Sunday night (after a LONG day) and came across this movie that gave the air of a Jane Austen flick so I stopped to watch it for a few minutes. Then I wondered what else was on that I might be missing so I flipped some more and found nothing of worth so I flipped back to find the interesting British flick. In fact I thought it might be a Jane Austen movie that I hadn't seen. So I watched it until the end and it took about 45 minutes for me to realize that it was JANE EYRE. Now I should note that I did read the book in high school but HATED it so much that I think I've blocked most of it from memory, except for how sad Jane was and forlorn and the crazy chick in the attic. That's about what I remember. So after watching most of the second half I decided that I should read the book over again, now that I'm older and more mature, well and because I kinda like the movie so . . . yep I got my pay back.

JLR said...

a-HA!

I will admit that you are right, Jane is sad for much of it, and there is a crazy lady in the attic. It's a much darker story than any of Jane Austen's novels. And pretty accurate in the fact that if you were a woman and didn't have money, your choices in life were few, and you had to put up with people treating you like dirt. You did not, however, usually have to deal with crazy ladies in the attic.

I'm glad you kinda liked it! I'm planning on buying the dvd when it's released, and you can borrow it.

Amstaff Mom said...

AHA! See, we KNEW you'd come around K-T. I've got both parts still on my DVR if you want to see sometime. We can watch ALL 4 HOURS together.

Poor little Jane had "years of therapy" written all over her, but she prevailed. Another heroine for their (and our) time.

Bobby said...

I meant to watch the new Jane Eyre on PBS but missed the first installment. I'll have to catch it on DVD.

See, I knew I was drinking coffee for health reasons -- protects against Parkinson's.