Friday, March 30, 2007

Oh No You Did Not

Here at work, us other attorneys decided to throw a shower for a coworker. We then decided to get his secretary and his boss involved and make it a kind of joint thing. So his secretary sent the email invite to my coworker Tish* to proofread (Tish is pretty much organizing the thing). Tish and I looked at it and agreed that serial commas should be used. His secretary had opted not to use them. Maybe that’s the way that they do things in their “pod,” but as an organization over all, we do use them. It’s even on the list of grammar rules that they hand out to you at orientation.

I don’t pretend to be an expert on grammar and style, but I think you could call me an enthusiastic layman. And as such, I know that there is debate in the “grammar community” over the correct use of these commas. Reasonable minds may disagree on the subject (jes’s boss, for example, does not use them). But I also know that here at work, we use serial commas. So Tish and I added the commas.

I think you see where this is going. When she sent out the invitations, she had taken out the commas.

So right now I’m sitting here just a little bit ticked off. Tish thinks it’s funny, and I guess that’s the right attitude. That’s probably how I should feel about it, and I’m working on it. But darnit, I’m annoyed. I don’t like passive-aggressive grammaristas.

*not her real name

No comments: