Monday, April 02, 2007

Square Peg, Round Hole

Last Sunday, I ordered a new pair of glasses. I was told that they would be ready in 7 to 10 days. Now I’m trying hard not to call them up and say, “was that 7 to 10 calendar days, or 7 to 10 business days?” Because I’m seriously wanting those glasses. My current pair are ghett-oooo. I have had them for, oh, maybe 5 years, and they are showing their age.

I am a little concerned, though, that maybe I went for frames that were cute as opposed to functional. The frames are those little rectangle shapes that are everywhere now, but the problem is that my eyes are on the large side. I have Bette Davis eyes. That’s what I call them. It’s my preferred term over “kind of don’t fit your face, very round, constantly look surprised” eyes. So I’m wondering if my eyes are too big for the glasses, like it might be distracting for people to see parts of my eyes above the glasses and parts of them through the glasses. And maybe it will be distracting for me in that everywhere I look, I won’t be looking through the glasses so much as at them, so that I am always seeing the top of the frames. You know what I mean? Everyone knows you can’t fit round eyes in square frames! I’m a little worried about it. Because I’ll probably keep these frames for years, and that’s enough time for something like that to render me certifiable. Am I being paranoid?

2 comments:

jes said...

i bet they're cute. i hope you get them soon!

RR said...

I'm sorry your glasses haven't come in yet (now that we've passed Day 7 of the "7-to-10 business days").