Friday, June 29, 2007

I'm wondering if anyone would notice if I took a nap.

Have I mentioned that I’m trying to cut back on my coffee intake? Well, I am. In the last month or two, my intake has spiked considerably, and for the last month, I’ve noticed that I have a stomach ache and nausea pretty much every day. My sister constantly reminds me that I have a sensitive tummy, and then I proceed to forget about it and act like I’m all fine and dandy and drink ton ‘o java (me: “I don’t know why I don’t feel well.” her: “I do.”). So after a month I finally realized that, oh, yeah, my stomach hurts and it has every day for weeks, and then I realized that I had been drinking much more coffee than usual, and then I put two and two together. (“So . . . whoever killed Mr. Body . . . killed the cook!”) It’s a slow process for me, that addition thing.

So, anyway, I’m trying to cut back and eet ees keelling me. I cannot remember the last time I had a good night’s sleep due to (a) rr’s constant coughing all through the night, which I can hear very clearly from her room, (b) one of my cats taking to getting on my dresser around 3 in the morning and knocking my stuff off, (c) the cats taking turns being ill, (d) various loud, unidentifiable noises coming from outside in the middle of the night, (e) one of the cats chewing on shoes and an old backpack in an attempt to wake me up, annoy the hell out of me enough to get me out of bed, and cause me to feed her to get her to stop (she’s crafty), and (f) storms. The only one I don’t mind is rr’s coughing, because I want to wake up in case she accidentally, you know, coughs up a lung, because that’s how bad her coughing sounds, like that might actually happen, and I’ll need to drive her to the hospital.

So poor sleep plus less coffee equals this particular chicky extremully* nonproductive at work. But hey, I work for the government, so that’s ok, right? Your tax dollars at work! Hahahahahahaha!

No, but seriously, I need a pick-me-up. This nonproductivity is sure to get noticed at some point. My boss and the senior staff person in our work group give me serious eye-rollings when I say that I’m behind, but I’m looking at the list of stuff they are working on, and I look at the list of what I’m working on, and it’s at least twice as long. And ok, technickully, we don’t have deadlines, so it’s not like I’m going to get yelled at. But everyone knows when you aren’t getting as much done as everyone else, and even though you don’t get in trouble for not getting stuff done by a certain time, you don’t want that reputation as a slacker. And if you have the longest list of unfinished business, people definitely notice. So I am beeehind.

And you’ll notice that right now, instead of working, I’m posting on my blog.

But that’s because I need help! Help, y’all! Tips for productivity! And I am already having trouble fitting into my clothes, so skip any suggestions of A-I-S food.**

In other news, this website cracks me up.*

p.s. I am a rocking girl blogger! I will ‘splain later.

*I can tell that I am tired because I am amusing myself by making up words and spelling things incorrectly. And things that I would normally find just mildly amusing are now uproarious.

**A-I-S stands for “a**-in-seat” and comes from “Everybody loves Raymond.” Or at least, that’s where we got it from. RR and I use the term “A-I-S food” to mean snacks and the like that we eat while we’re studying or working on a project, food that keeps us sitting down. My theory is that the brain activity necessary for eating occupies that part of my brain that would otherwise be distracting me. Like why I draw all over the church bulletin during the sermon. It helps me pay attention. Also, I really like food, so it keeps me happy.

5 comments:

Heather said...

"Are you trying to make me look stupid in front of the other guests?"

"You don't need any help from me."

"That's right!"

JLR said...

I love that part. It has been way too long since I've seen that movie. Is it sad that it's one of the only movies in the world that I never get tired of watching?

Lia said...

Please share tips and tricks. I feel the exact same way.

Amstaff Mom said...

We need to watch it. And soon. Do y'all want to drive to Oklahoma any time soon? Or, I can drive to Southwest Texas. Either way is fine for me.

"Is that what we ate?????"

JLR said...

lia--there should be a support group! Sadly, no one has yet given me any tips. If I get any, I will pass them along.

AM: yes, we do! I was thinking the same thing. I think we might be willing to drive up to Oklahoma, once our schedules clear up. Or we could do it at Katie's? I'd volunteer my place, but there's no place to sit.