Friday, June 22, 2007

Time to “Spice Up Our Lives” Once Again?

Are the Spice Girls getting back together? Right now, they're just saying that they're going to announce their future plans, but I can't think of what that would be except for a reunion.

I . . . I just don’t know what to say.

Oh, wait, yes, I do.

WHAT?
and
WHY?

I have to say that part of me is excited. Don’t get me wrong, I could not stand them the first time around. In fact, I thought they were a joke. Kind of like my initial reaction to crocs. When I found out it wasn’t a joke, I still couldn’t accept them. I spent the rest of the time they were around asking, “really? I mean, really? People like them? Really?” And when they broke up, I thought, “Thank God!” The only thing even related to them that I remember fondly is that a local radio station in my college town had this advertisement making fun of the pop songs that were popular at the time, and the premise was that these would be the songs we’d be listening to in the old folks’ home, so there was this sound clip of an old man, who sounded a little like Grandpa Simpson, singing, “So tell ME what you want, what you really, really want, I’ll tell YOU what I want, what I really, really want” (although the premise was funnier when Margaret Cho did it –“Put on ‘Hungry Like the Wolf!’”). RR and I still break out into that sometimes. His version of “mmm-bop” was also humorous, but we don’t sing that one. Anyway, I couldn’t stand them, is my point, and I’m not excited about being subjected to a new round of their music.

And also, I think their time has passed. Their whole theme, I just don’t know if it would work now. (But then again, I couldn’t believe that it worked then)

That said, why am I so excited that they might get back together? Nostalgia? The potential for an easy target? What is it?

8 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

Yo, I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really
really really wanna zigazig ha.

If you want my future forget my past,
If you wanna get with me better make it fast,
Now don't go wasting my precious time,
Get your act together we could be just fine

I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really
really really wanna zigazig ha.

If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends,
Make it last forever friendship never ends,
If you wanna be my lover, you have got to give,
Taking is too easy, but that's the way it is.

What do you think about that now you know how I feel,
Say you can handle my love are you for real,
I won't be hasty, I'll give you a try
If you really bug me then I'll say goodbye.

Yo I'll tell you what I want, what I really really want,
So tell me what you want, what you really really want,
I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna, I wanna really
really really wanna zigazig ha.

If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends,
Make it last forever friendship never ends,
If you wanna be my lover, you have got to give,
Taking is too easy, but that's the way it is.

So here's a story from A to Z, you wanna get with me
you gotta listen carefully,
We got Em in the place who likes it in your face,
we got G like MC who likes it on an
Easy V doesn't come for free, she's a real lady,
and as for me you'll see,
Slam your body down and wind it all around
Slam your body down and wind it all around.

If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friends,
Make it last forever friendship never ends,
If you wanna be my lover, you have got to give,
Taking is too easy, but that's the way it is.

If you wanna be my lover, you gotta, you gotta, you gotta,
you gotta, you gotta, slam, slam, slam, slam
Slam your body down and wind it all around.
Slam your body down and wind it all around.
Slam your body down and wind it all around.
Slam your body down zigazig ah
If you wanna be my lover.

Deals On Wheels said...

:P

JLR said...

i weel keel you.

Emma Sometimes said...

Deals,
Am I the Em in your song? AM I GOING TO BE A ONE HIT WONDER LYRIC! SWEET!!!!!

jlr,
You are a Mad Gabber? I really need to visit the Lone Star state soon.

JLR said...

Ems--You do! I love Mad Gab! RR and I say "wad use hay?" all the time.

Hi, I'm Rhonda. said...

Just as long as Poch brings Mr. Beckham to the states, it's all good...

Katie said...

I have a clear if not a bit horrifying memory of all the girls of my dorm floor cranking that song all through our hall and coming out to dance together. Good college memories or just something that I hope was never filmed for posterity? You decide.

JLR said...

katie--I'm picturing this in my head, and it's just like a musical. A bad musical, with a sad, sad score.

rhonda--I know, right? I am so used to her being Mrs David Beckham that it's hard for me to think of her in that band. I mean, "band."