Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Will this Saturday be a "hairrowing" experience? I will leave you know.

I cannot tell you how excited I am about Saturday. HAIRCUT DAY, BABY!!! Right now, my hair is just . . . blegk. That’s the sound I make every time I look into a mirror and see it. It also involves me making a face. You have to make the face to make the correct sound, which conveys both disgust and resignation.

I do have to say that I feel just the weensiest bit of trepidation about it, though, because I’m getting my hair cut by someone who’s never cut it before. That’s right, one of the things we women live in fear of has come to pass—my hair stylist up and left me, y’all. That is so not cool. I loved my hair stylist. She was the best. She could actually do things with my hair that made it look good, something none of the hair stylists I'd been to before could do with regularity. She was also cool and sweet, and once I even wrote her a thank you card telling her how great she was and begging her to let me know if she ever left the salon so that I could follow her to wherever she went.

And did I get a phone call or an email? NO, I did not, because she is not going to a new salon, she’s just leaving the work force altogether. I know staying home with her kids is important, good for her, and really, I think it’s probably the best for her situation. So while I applaud her decision for her sake, inside there’s a little voice screaming “nooooooooooooooooooooooo[infinity].” I’m so screwed, y’all.

Or I guess I should say, I'm so (potentially) screwed. Surely I can find one that can actually wrestle my hair into an (armed) truce? And if the woman cutting my hair on Saturday isn’t as good as my former stylist, and least it’s a haircut. So maybe Saturday won’t be as good as it could have been, but it will at least be a better hair day than today. It has to be, right?

4 comments:

jes said...

I empathize. My favorite stylist EVER (read: could sit in the chair, close my eyes, and i knew when i opened them that WHATEVER she did would be fabulous) just up and moved to San Diego.

SAN DIEGO! That's like, so ridiculously far away that it might as well be Cuba!

JLR said...

jes--It's an epidemic! What are we curly-headed people to do? How are you going to talk yourself into getting that super-cool short cut?

jes said...

It's going to be very, very difficult. Mainly, I'm waiting until I lose weight so that I don't look like a kind-of-obese person with a short, sporty cut. It's better, in my opinion, for me to BE sporty with a sporty cut.

At the rate I'm losing weight, it will be a very, very long time before I cut my hair.

Emma Sometimes said...

My last cut was by a woman who now lives two states away. I told her I hope she lives close to an airport.