Tuesday, July 17, 2007

It's the brain drain. My brain is draining.

I haven’t blogged in a while because all of my brain power has been occupied by work. It doesn’t help that I feel as though my brain is on standby mode, and I can’t figure out how to get it to come back on. I’ve tried to write something several times, but I got nothing.

Well, I do have something, but I’m working on it at home, so for now, nothing.

Let’s see. Think, think, think, as Pooh would say. Think, think, think. Thiiiink, think, think.

Still nothing.

Oh! We bought a new vacuum. Eureka Optima. It’s very light for a vacuum and fairly effective. Emptying the cannister and cleaning the filter, though, is a-noooooy-ing. We also bought a compact carpet cleaner, but the verdict is still out on that one. It does seem to be getting the carpet clean, but I’m not sure it’s having much effect on the spots we’re trying to remove. And it’s a compact cleaner, so it only cleans the carpet one small circle at a time. So we’ve got spot, surrounded by circle of clean, surrounded by dirty carpet. Attractive! So helpful for notifying the landlord that yes, that stain was not there when we moved in!

Um, what else. I’m in the market for a (very inexpensive yet not a piece of junk) new car. My parents are making me go test drive cars, which I guess is a good thing, but it kind of annoys me. I don’t want to drive around with a salesman. It will be an uncomfortable experience, literally, because I’ll have to bite my tongue the whole time to keep from saying, “could you please not say another word for the rest of the drive but make it seem like a natural silence.” I’ll have to be all polite and semi-friendly because it’s not the salesman’s fault that I don’t want him there.

So that’s all that’s going on with me. Stimulating reading, no?

8 comments:

jes said...

Just tell the salesman you're trying to listen to the engine and appreciate how quiet the vehicle is. Say it is a feature you are comparing against all vehicles you test drive.

Emma Sometimes said...

or you can tell him, "OPEN YER PIE HOLE, NO SALE".

Maybe Jes' method would go over better.

I think you should get a smart car, or a mini cooper, they are cute and easy on gas, so you save more in the long run. Besides, what's another 25Gs compared to your school loan. ~snicker~

Lia said...

Am I totally off base if I say a nice, used, just-back-from-a-lease Toyota would be my pick? Just make sure it hasn't been refurbished after an accident . . .

JLR said...

lia: that is a great suggestion. I've definitely been looking at "gently used" cars but hadn't considered after-lease options.

jes: also an excellent suggestion. If I can say it with a straight face, that would definitely work. And I'm not uninterested in a quite car.

ems: yeah, I think jes's might go over better. Although, I definitely don't want to buy the car the same day I test drive it, so maybe that would keep him from trying to get me into his office.

Also, aaawww, you made fun of me and my staggering debt! That's exactly what my best friends would do.

RR said...

JLR: it's the heat. It makes you stroppy. Anyway...

I think Lia and Jes both offered good suggestions, and Emma--Ha! Ha ha ha!

Amstaff Mom said...

Just think of it as a permanent rental car. Because I know how much you like those.

HM said...

take rr with you to test drive. when i test drove my car, my brother went with me, and the salesman let us take it out by ourselves. of course, it's a two door. so maybe he just didn't want to cram into the back seat?

JLR said...

AM: It's true! I do, and I don't know why. It's funny that you remember that. :)

hm: That's a great idea, although if they knew us, there's no way they'd let us go out alone (I can see the incident report now).