Monday, October 01, 2007

In which PBS attempts to show that it’s just as good as A&E

and that, when it isn’t interrupting to do pledge drives in which it airs shows that I hate, it can do things that make me all happy inside.

Good stuff coming up on PBS.

First, PBS will re-air Jane Eyre on December 30, 2007 and January 6, 2008. Y’all, it’s so good. It’s the best version I’ve ever seen. And I think that if you couldn’t invest in the characters when you read the book, you’ll be pleasantly surprised by the movie. Although I loved the book when I read it, I sometimes thought that Mr. Rochester was a little, I don’t know, insensitive, maybe? I didn’t get that from the movie at all. LOVED it. Watch it.

And if that wasn’t enough . . . Don’t you just love Jane Austen? Of course you do! I said, of course you do. Well, guess what? In 2008, PBS is airing what it’s calling “The Complete Jane Austen.” And what does that include? It's a lot, y'all. They’re showing Emma, Mansfield Park (thankfully, not that sorry 1999 version), Northanger Abbey, Persuasion, Pride and Prejudice (the one with Colin Firth, yea!), and, finally, Sense and Sensibility (a version I’ve never seen or heard of). I’m so excited!

4 comments:

jes said...

Northanger Abbey has been turned into a film? And I didn't know?

* Must set DVR tonight. *

Heather said...

Oh! I hope that this is nationwide and not just a regional thing!

(I don't care that I own the Colin Firth P&P... I'll still watch it!)

JLR said...

Jes: can you set stuff that far ahead? Maybe I really should look into getting one of them thar thingiemajigs.

heather: I got it from the PBS Masterpiece Theatre page, not our area PBS station, so I'm assuming that it's national . . . but I know that our local station doesn't always follow the national schedule. So I'd keep an eye out. And word--my mom has the dvd, but I'm still gonna watch it when it comes on.

Amstaff Mom said...

I still have Jane Eyre on my DVR from the LAST time it was on. I've been meaning to watch it again.

I can't WAIT to watch all the Jane Austen's. YIPEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!