Thursday, February 07, 2008

Ok, Now They're Just Messing With Me

Empty coffee carafe? Check.
Coffee burner on? Check.
Empty coffee pot cookin' away on the burner? Check.

Yes, they say, I will see your coffee congealing on the burner and raise you potential exploding shards of glass (again).

I know you are tired of hearing about it, and frankly, I'm tired of talking about it, but I really don't understand it at all. In a way, I wish that I could be a different person and just leave the pot there and see what happens. But there are pregnant women that use that break room, plus, if the coffee pot caught on fire, the fire alarm would go off. They'd make us evacuate, and I'd have to go down the stairs, and I hate those stairs. For some reason (I'm sure it was a good one), they don't follow the usual pattern of flight of stairs, new floor, flight of stairs, new floor, or even flight of stairs, landing, flight of stairs, new floor. It's more like five steps, landing, turn, five steps, landing, turn, five steps, landing, turn, five steps, landing, turn, congratulations, you're down one floor! Five steps, turn, five steps, turn . . . just thinking about it makes me feel nauseated. Bleck.

Also, despite the several fire drills that we've had, I'm still not sure where we are supposed to meet to check in with our floor "check people in so we know who's still in the building" person. This is because when we have fire drills, I just go home. I tell a coworker to check me in, and I walk to the garage. I'm not a slacker, I just take the drill as a sign that I'm not supposed to be at work that day. I do work from home once I get there, but I'm in my jammies, so it's better. But if we had an actual fire, I'd feel compelled to personally check in so that firefighters weren't looking for me inside the building, but I wouldn't know where to go for that. That could result in awkwardness as I try to explain why, after working here for a year and a half, I don't know the procedure, and that's why everyone thought I was still in my office.

Anyway, point is, I can't leave the coffee pot smoldering. So . . . I don't know. I'm going back to the stake out plan.

No comments: