Thursday, March 13, 2008

Why again with the sick?

AGAIN I am sick, this time with a cold. RR's cold. I know she didn't infect me on purpose, and mine didn't get as bad as hers. Hers includes a lovely sinus infection, fever, and the absolute inability to sleep at night at all or for more than a few hours at a time during the day, plus she has so much school work and work work to do that she can't just lay around feeling sorry for herself, which everyone knows is how you get well.

But still! I haven't been able to stay asleep at all for the past five nights, the first four because I kept waking up every few hours to sneeze A LOT and then had trouble getting back to sleep, and last night because I had to go to the bathroom EVERY HOUR, except from 2am-3am. I knew when I was drinking all that water that it would be a mistake, but I figured I'd maybe have to wake up once. Wrong!

Of course, on the upside, when I've woken up at night, at least there's someone to talk to. I'd wake up, sneeze a whole bunch, grumble "you got to be kidding me," and hear a friendly but incredibly sad hello from RR's room.

Most of my congestion has settled on the right side of my head, so it's a little puffy on that side (no, rr and hmc, I did not eat a lot of peanut butter), and also, with all that pressure, my teeth feel like they are about to fall out of my head and my face feels like it's about to just break open. Oh, it hurts. And my precious neti pot can only do so much. I will spare you the details about what's been coming out of my nose.

Today at work, my coworker who is on maternity leave brought her incredibly adorable 2-month old baby for us to see, and everyone got to hold her but me, because I am Contaminated.

I've been eating copious amounts of salsa and tilting my head a lot to the left in the hopes of moving stuff around to ease the pressure. Of course, that makes me sneeze, and also, it's hard to read stuff on your computer screen with your head tilted as far as you can, which makes work slow. So . . . I don't know. All I know is that it's 9pm and I'm really thirsty, so I'm about to go drink a lot of water. So, tonight is shaping up to be great!

But at least I'm not RR. I am complaining because I hate being sick and also because my teeth really, really hurt, my nose is really chapped, and I have to constantly carry around a tissue lest I sneeze something gross on people (people do not forgive you for that) (and then I'd always be that woman who sneezed on them) ("Oh, yeah, I know her. She sneezed on me once. Just sneeeeeezed right on me."). But I know it could be a lot worse (See RR), so I'm also grateful that it's just this bad. But I do feel like I've already served my ear, nose, and throat illness time this year, so I really should have gotten a pass on this one, and on that issue I do think I have a valid point. So, I'll just wrap this up by saying that if I get a similar illness again in the next few months, somebody will take the blame. So just look out.

3 comments:

Heather said...

You are The Contaminated. Hehe. I like that. Going to use that as soon as I can. No one here seems all that sick, though. Boo.

Deals On Wheels said...

As much as I miss seeing you two, I don't want to hang out until both of you are well. Mainly because this sounds contagious. RR has taken (good) care of me many times while I was sick, but has never caught my illness (most likely because it was sinus related, not germ).

And it totally sounds like you have a sinus infection. You should go to the doctor before the weekend arrives. No need to suffer through until Monday, after all.

Get well!

Love,
Deals

Emma Sometimes said...

Time to buy stock in Kleenex.