Monday, April 07, 2008

"Don't Let a Suitcase Full of Cheese Be Your Big Fork and Spoon"

I love movies, and I love television. I’ll watch just about anything but reality shows (I will watch some of those, but pretty much just the ones on Bravo, ANTM, and Celebrity Mole. Yes, Celebrity Mole. Shut up.). But although I don’t generally like movies that play to the lowest common denominator–I hate Dumb & Dumber, There’s Something About Mary, generally almost anything with Ben Stiller–I don’t only like art films. I’m not a snob. After all, I have a well-documented love for the movie Clue. But Clue is not the only movie that won’t win an Oscar that I’m not afraid to admit I love.

Five Movies I’m Not Ashamed to Love
1. Clue. Well, obviously this one was going on the list.
2. Troop Beverly Hills.
3. Overboard. RR and I like this movie so much that we watched the Korean t.v. series that was based on it (and we really liked that one, too).
4. Weekend at Bernie's. I know. But I love it. So shut up.
5. The ‘Burbs. “‘Bout a nine on the old tension scale, there, Rube.” I can’t explain how much I love this movie. Maybe it’s because I grew up in the suburbs and can relate to so much of this movie. Maybe it’s the great performance by Corey Feldman–yes, Corey Feldman. Maybe it’s because it has both Bruce Dern and Carrie Fisher. But whatever the reason, this movie has so many lines that my entire family quotes on a regular basis. "I've never seen that. I've never seen anyone drive their trash to the curb and then bang the hell out of it with a stick. I've never seen that." If this movie is on television, I am watching it.

And it’s not just movies. I’m not afraid to love tv shows that may or may not ever be a critical fave. For example, let’s take The Big Bang Theory. Ok, yes, I realize that this show isn’t Seinfeld. And when the previews came out, I thought it looked like the stupidest show ever. But it grew on me, starting with “The Big Bran Hypothesis.” Consider me a fan.

And speaking of television, you know how some movies you love but can only watch every once in a while, while others you could watch every week and never get tired of them (yep, I’m talking about Clue again)? I’m like that with certain episodes of television as well.

Just a few of my favorite t.v. episodes:
1. “The Key,” Yes, Prime Minister. To truly appreciate this episode, you have to have watched Yes, Prime Minister (preferably starting back when it was Yes, Minister) and develop an understanding of the relationship among the prime minister, Sir Humphrey, and Bernard. But even if you haven’t done that, you can still enjoy watching it. RR and I still say “people would see people” on a frequent basis. I’ve long wondered why someone didn’t take this show, tweak it, and launch it in the U.S. While the show is very British, I think the premise is sound and could definitely be made to work here with a little effort. We could use it.
2. “Baggage,” Everybody Loves Raymond. As I’ve previously stated, it’s worth watching the whole episode to see Patricia Heaton say, “If smells bothered me, I’d have left him a long time ago.” And of course, “Cheese. I love it, yet I used it as a weapon” and the title of this post (which RR and I quote quite often). We are always on the lookout for an opportunity to warn someone not to let a suitcase full of cheese be their big fork and spoon.
3. “The Big Bran Hypothesis,” The Big Bang Theory. "If you have time to lean, you have time to clean." Fabulous.
4. “The One Where No One’s Ready,” Friends. What’s not to love about this episode? There are many, many episodes of Friends that I could watch all the time, but this is at the top of my list. Picture Chandler saying, “It’s called ‘get up’” and see if you don’t want to go watch it right now.
5. “The One with the Embryos,” Friends. I think this one’s on the list of a lot of people. This is the trivia episode where Rachel and Monica lose their apartment to Chandler and Joey. I don't think I need to say anymore about it.

And finally, on the television news front, how am I just finding out about hulu? Ok, I found out about a few weeks ago or so and just ventured to look at it yesterday, but still! I love it! Who has two thumbs and is spending her evening watching old episodes of "The Office" and "Newsradio"? This gal.

10 comments:

RR said...

"No, you gave me an explanation. Whether it's reasonable will be decided by a jury of your peers."

RR said...

Now, see, see, you didn't tell me that I could actually watch Weekend at Bernie's on hulu. Yep. Hulu is now my favorite site.

JLR said...

I know, right? I'm seeing a change in our scheduled plans for this evening. Work, schmork. I have a need to hear "Hold the boat!"

And why is it that, at least as of last night, the one episode from season 3 that isn't up is the one with this gem of a quote (where Davis is talking to Mr. James, who is in a coma):

Well here's the situation as I understand it. Lisa has decided that she wants to have a baby, but that she doesn't want to get married. Now I know that if you were awake you'd probably say something like: "Well, son, why milk the cow when you got a fridge full of steaks?" And I would probably say, "That makes absolutely no sense sir." And then I'm sure you would say "Well, it sure sounded like it made sense when that guy Chuck Conners said it in that movie Chinatown." And then I would be forced to say "Well sir, Chuck Conners wasn't in the movie Chinatown." And I'm sure you would come back with "Well, Dave if I wanted to have this conversation I would have hired that guy Siskel Ebert to do your job." And I would say, "Sir Siskel and Ebert are two guys." And I'm sure you would then come back with "Dave, just ‘cause the man is fat is no reason to make fun of him."

HM said...

I love Dave.

And I hate my computer, which has decided it can no longer play sounds. Speakers broken. Headphones broken. So no hulu for me. Boooo!

And yes, it is still under warranty and accident insurance. But like I can afford to be without it anytime before I take the bar - at which point my warranty will have expired. Sigh.

Heather said...

Many will argue that the Prom Video ep is the best Friends episode. Some will cite the Embryos. But I have always been a staunch supporter of "The One Where No One's Ready." If you have the means, listen to the commentary on the DVDs for that episode. It's brilliant.

So, in the words of A.A. Milne, get out of my chair, DILL HOLE.

Amstaff Mom said...

As you know, I'm also in the "not afraid to admit how much I love the movie Clue" club.

There's safety in numbers, my dear.

I would love to see your haircuts!

RR said...

Heather, I'm surprised that JLR didn't say that her favorite Friends episode is the One Where No One's Ready. She usually says that's her favorite. Maybe it's a Dangerous Liaisons/Weekend at Bernie's kind of thing.

JLR said...

RR--I actually did list that one, I just also listed Embryos. I love that you know which episode is my favorite. And I think we should take Heather up on her suggestion and acquire the DVD.

Heather, I'm so glad that someone else likes that episode as much as I do!

And speaking of embryos--AM, I can't believe you're about to have the baby! One of my other friends is due any day now. Technically she's not due until next Friday, but none of think it will be that long. I'm so excited about all the babies!

And HM, I'm glad to hear that your speakers are working now so that you can watch NewsRadio. Man, do I miss that show!

Lia said...

I'd never heard of hulu. Great. You have now taking procrastinating at work to a whole new level.

Bob Andelman said...

You might enjoy this entertaining audio interview with Bill Prady, co-creator of "The Big Bang Theory." Prady's other writing and producing credits include "Gilmore Girls," "Muppets in Space," "Dream On," and even an episode of "Star Trek Voyager."