Monday, April 19, 2010

Sneezles and Such

So, my allergies today. Blech. Do you ever have one of those days where, if you tilt your head back, you get a nice flow of mucus right down the back of your throat? That was me today. Yummy! But I’d rather it drain than stay in my stuffy head, so I spent quite a bit of time staring at my ceiling today. And yet I was strangely productive. Of the work kind, not the phlegm kind. I was the phlegm kind of productive all through last night, when I hacked up all kinds of stuff. Yes, that’s gross. That’s why I’m sharing. If I have to be grossed out, then so does everyone else. That’s why I didn't bother to close my office door today and just went ahead and let my coworkers have to deal with it. They all got to hear me sneeze and blow my nose (although if I had started doing that really gross snorfling thing, I would have closed my door because I don’t actually want anyone to throw up).

I almost left work early today because I have a strict rule that when I run out of kleenex, I go home. I draw the line at having to use the incredibly thin toilet paper or the prison-issue paper towels.* I barely made it through with just the one box.

I also drank lots of water and hot tea, and I have a thing about only using public restrooms so many times in one day before the OCD takes over and I CANNOT do it anymore. Plus, I just know that the guy who has the office across from me counts how many times I go to the bathroom. He’s never said anything, but I just know it. He must because after awhile, it would be noticeable to even the most unobservant person. And I have to stop making trips before I think he’s reached the point where he’s thinking, “damn, woman, maybe drink a little less of the water, or maybe get medical help.” It’s kind of like the time we were watching television at our friend’s house, and he said, “hey, it’s been an hour, and [RR] hasn’t had to go the bathroom yet.” I don’t want that happening to me.

You know what I think would help me today? Ginger chews. Not for any reason other than I can’t stop eating them, and now I really want some, so I will come up with a rationalization for buying some. This is strange to me because up until a month or so ago, I couldn’t stand the taste of ginger. Like, drinking a ginger ale when I was nauseated was not a good idea unless I actually wanted to throw up. But these days, there’s not a lot in the candy department that I can have, so I started eating ginger chews, and now, I loves them. I’m still not a ginger ale fan, but I have a feeling that’s gonna change before too long. This just goes to show that taste buds really can adapt. Like, not long ago I bought a jar of Jif peanut butter, which I used to have in the top five of my list of Best Things In This World, and now I think it’s too sweet and not peanut-y enough. I was kind of sad to find that out, but also glad because now I’m not tempted to eat it by the jar like I used to sometimes do (ha ha, just kidding, I would never eat a whole jar of peanut butter in one day and then, hypothetically, have my face swell up ). This makes me wonder if I wouldn’t like Twinkies now if I ate one. I almost don’t want to know. Because Twinkies, though not really fit for human consumption, are awesome.

And since I’m whining about allergies, I will add one more complaint. On Friday, we are having a going-away lunch for a coworker. It’s at a Tex-Mex restaurant that I used to love. And there is literally nothing on the menu that I can eat. So I will have to eat before I go and then sit there while everyone else eats some of my favorite food right in front of me. Suuuuuucks. But it will be worth it to show my support. And also, I should rack up enough pity points that it will get me out of several group lunches in the future, so there’s that.

Let’s end on something positive. Staples now sells argyle file folders (at least in the store I was in recently—I don’t see them online). And we all know that I loves the argyle. And I love office supplies. It’s hard to be unhappy when someone has put those two things together. They are so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking some up.

*I joke about our paper towels being like something they’d use in prison, but our hand soap is actually made by prisoners, so I’m not sure that these paper towels aren’t actually the same ones they use, if not in prison, then at least in the county jail.

1 comment:

RR said...

I miss ginger chews! Stupid rotation diet. And also, I spent a lot of time staring at the ceiling today, and for the same reason you stared at yours. Yuck.