Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Trapped in my office

I am trapped in my office right now. No, not like before. This time it’s because it’s my coworker’s last day, and he’s leaving soon, probably in the next half hour or so. Right now, he’s standing in the hallway saying his goodbyes to another coworker. I like the departing coworker, he’s very nice, and I hope to keep in touch. But I am horribly, horribly awkward with goodbyes. I don’t like them. They never go well for me. I always say the wrong thing. And do we shake hands, which I’m not good at? Do we hug? We’re not that close, but a hand shake seems weird, and just a wave seems too cold, more like a “have a good time on vacation” than a “goodbye to someone I might never see again.” I guess I could give it a try. Let me test it out in my head.

[picturing myself waving]

No, that’s awkward.

So I’m trying to avoid it. I’m hoping he’ll just leave, and then I can send him an email later telling him what a nice coworker he’s been so that he doesn’t leave here thinking, “well that was weird” and having that be his last interaction with me.

But right now I really need more coffee, so instead of thinking of what a nice guy he is, I’m thinking, “hurry up and leave already.”

This is why RR is known as “the nice one.”




If you are wondering why I'm not getting work done today, it's because I have a bad headache, and all I can think is "coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffeecoffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffeecoffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee," which is not helpful when trying to do lawyery things.

coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffee coffeecoffee coffee coffee [infinity]


UPDATE: he just stopped by to say goodbye, and it was every bit as awkward as I'd feared it would be.

No comments: