Thursday, April 29, 2010

Why Do I Have This, Exactly?

I have this Tigger mug. This is Tigger:


Isn't Tigger cute? I love the blue colors, and I love Tigger (cause Tigger's a wonderful thing). This is very much a mug I would have bought for myself or been happy to receive as a gift. But I didn't buy it for myself, and I didn't get it as a gift. I do not know how I acquired it, actually. My suspicion is that it belonged to crazy girl Leeann, and Kara and Valerie wound up with it. Then when I lived with them in Austin, somehow I wound up with it when I moved back to Fort Worth. But it doesn't matter, because I have adversely possessed the mug for the statutory period, and he's mine now. Adverse possession, baby!

Sometimes I actually like being a lawyer.

But you know what I'm not happy about having? This:


It's the cover for a Type O Negative cd. Don't get me wrong, I liked "Black No. 1" as much as the next alterna-girl college student in the '90s, but I don't know any of the band's other songs, and I didn't buy the cd. I might have been ok with it winding up in my cd collection, though, except that I don't have the cd. Just the cover. Not sure how that happened.

The cover does have a cd in it, but it's about as far from Type O Negative as you can get. Take a guess what band it might be. Just guess. Can't guess? I'll show you:




Yep, Duran Duran. I don't know why I kept this cd once I discovered that it was living in the Type O Negative cover. Maybe it's because I used to think that I liked Duran Duran. Then a few years ago, I realized that if I changed the radio station anytime one of their songs came on, that probably meant I wasn't a big fan. (I do like "View to a Kill," though.) Anyway, although I don't know why this cd is in that particular cover, I do know that I did not buy this cd, and I do not know how I got it. Or why it's still living in my home. I think neither RR nor I want to take responsibility for it, and we just pretend that it's not there.


Here's another cd cover of mysterious origin.


Now, I do like Shostakovich, so I would have been happy to have this cd in my collection. But I don't. Once again, we have an odd couple match-up. If you hear Shostakovich playing, you don't think, "WTH is this? Turn it off!" But that is what I think when I hear this group:







Again, not sure how we acquired this. No offense to UB40 fans out there, but ugh, I would never have bought this. Sure, "Red Red Wine" is fun to listen to while you're getting ready to go out on the town, but . . . no, I would not have bought this. Ever. EVER. And I don't know which of my friends or acquaintances is guilty of buying this and leaving it at my house, but whoever it is, he or she had better not speak up, because you can be sure I will think less of them.

And that reminds me of the time in high school where a classmate said she liked this song as it was playing on the radio, and I said, "I don't like reggae," (because at the time, I didn't like it) and she said, "this isn't reggae, this is UB40," which was unintentionally hilarious, because I know, right? I will never think of UB40 as real reggae. But she thought "reggae" was the name of a band that I was confusing UB40 with. It's petty, but at that moment, she sort of killed any chance that we would become better friends. Because I love music, and I am just that petty that I cannot be good friends with someone who doesn't love music enough to know what reggae is. Or to keep your mouth shut when you don't know something lest you sound stupid. So. Yeah. At least this cd makes me laugh when I see it.

I really want to get rid of these cds, but I don't want to throw them in the trash, but I don't see what cd resale store would take them without a cover. Right now my plan is to wait for RR to move out one day, and I'm just going to slip them in with her stuff. I guess it's possible that we still have them because RR secretly likes them. In which case, RR, I still love you. You are still a great sister. But we will not be listening to these cds on any road trips.

3 comments:

RR said...

The tigger mug belonged to Hil's cousin, Jane, I think . And that Duran Duran CD--I have no proof, but I'm convinced it belonged to BF/R.

JLR said...

Oh, that's interesting. When we visit her next, let's just leave it somewhere in her house. Then it's her problem.

RR said...

Oooh, hee, I like that plan.