Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Solidarity with South Korea

I had planned to blog about the limited good news that Burma had released from house arrest Aung San Suu Kyi (I say limited because it's not like Burma has made a move toward democracy), but I want to take a moment instead to address the attacks on South Korea. Obama (or at least his press secretary) stated that we stand "shoulder to shoulder" with South Korea. I don't know how much that statement will translate into any actual policies or actions, but I agree with the sentiment 100 percent. My thoughts and prayers are with the people of South Korea. To all my Korean friends . . . I don't think you know about my blog, so you won't be reading this, but I hope your family is safe.

I assume most if not all Americans are aware that the war between North and South Korean never officially ended--they just called a truce. If anyone wants to know more about the craziness (and huge, huge problem) that is North Korea, I suggest you start here (even if you only have time to watch Mr. Hong's presentation and not the whole video). If you don't have time to watch that eye-opening talk but want to read more, go here, here, here, and here (to see video from the Vice Guide to North Korea, go here). It is almost unbelievable. If you want to help out North Korean refugees (who, if they are caught in China, are usually sent back to North Korea to be put in Nazi-like work camps or executed), you can start here. This is what South Korea is dealing with, and, really it's a problem of the whole world.

2 comments:

Deals On Wheels said...

This whole Korea thing keeps me up at night. Not cool. In my other life as a Cold War history dork, I was convinced that the whole North Korean problem would evenually lead to WWIII. When stuff starts happening over there I always find myself holding my breath. That sh*t is scary, yo!

JLR said...

Right?!! How come nobody seems to be unnerved by it? Is it a history dork thing? Are we the only ones paying attention?