Monday, February 21, 2011

There's a possibility that I won't be blogging next week because I will be sitting on the side of the road in Arkansas or in jail.

I didn't do anything to celebrate President's Day today, other than not go to work. Yea for holidays!

I also ate homemade cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting, but that was less "honor our presidents" and more "because they were there."

And I made yakbap, also known as yaksik, because a friend had mentioned that it's a Korean dessert that is typically eaten around the lunar new year, and I was all, "dessert, you say?" RR and I love celebrating foreign holidays because it makes us seem like we are multiculti, when really we just love dessert. I have spent days making a "Christmas around the world" food list.

I also watched Perry Mason, of course, and it turned out to be one of my dad's favorite episodes ("I was . . . frightened."). That was a plus.

I also went with RR to the gym to run around the track there, which was torture. I don't think I'm ever going to like running, I really don't. I had to stop running after 1 mile and just walk after that, while RR kept going like a little gazelle. We look so much alike that there's no way people don't know we're sisters, which means they wouldn't be able to not compare us. One is about 10 pounds thinner and running, while the heavier one is walking and looks like she's about to die. The about-to-die look was from trying (and failing) to do math in my head, trying to figure out how many more laps I had to go before it was time to leave. RR is ahead of me, all, "I think I can, I think I can," and I'm "I swear on that frat guy's life, I'm going to kill someone if they don't turn the air on." So yeah, that was fun. I'm glad I went, though (see cinnamon rolls, above).

Speaking of cream cheese, if you are wondering if it is possible to put to much cream cheese in your Philadelphia rolls, the answer is yes. And also, something tasted off in my philly rolls, and I ate them anyway (they were there), so tomorrow I might get to stay home from work again. Yea food poisoning!

Well, if my food makes me sick, I'm sure I'll be recovered in time for this weekend's road trip to visit Grandpa. If my parents and I return home without me ejecting one of them or myself from the moving vehicle, it will be a President's Day miracle. My parents get along just dandy when they are puttering around the house or going shopping for plants, but get them on a road trip together, and the fuses, they shorten. I start to feel like Pee Wee when he throws himself from the train rather than stay with the singing hobo. I don't have a lot of patience for that kind of squabbling, and although I can keep my thoughts to myself for awhile, after about hour five, it's hard for me not to say things like "can we please all agree to stop acting like children" and "using that tone of voice is unnecessary" which are things you don't want to hear from your kid, even if said kid is in her mid-30s.

It's a well-known if unspoken family fact that my parents figure that they will probably have to live with me when they are old but would much rather live with RR. Or with pretty much anyone else. Except my brother. They'd take me over him any day. Unless he marries his current girlfriend, in which case, I'm back down to the bottom of the list, right under "swarm of angry bees." I, on the other hand, have no problem with my parents living with me, because if they are old and feeble then I can finally stop them from leaving the television running all day long, even when no one is in the house.

The fact that I have thought of all the ways in which they will finally have to do what I want them to do should clue you in as to why they don't want to live with me.

This is especially true of my mother, a woman who is free with the unsolicited advice for her parents and her children but who once said that she doesn't like to take advice from people because if someone gives you advice, "they're basically calling you stupid." True story. For the record, my mom is lovely (outside of road trips), gives good advice, and dispenses it because she cares so much. It must be disappointing to her that she has such stupid children.

I guess I don't have the right to joke about that, given that I did eat sushi rolls that I thought might have gone "off."

Ugh, I think the rice has formed a ball in my stomach and is now expanding. Coffee helps with that, right?

3 comments:

RR said...

Coffee will definitely help! At least, that's what I tell myself when I overeat (which is almost every day).

And also, you can call me if you get stranded on the side of the road in Arkansas. I think it would count as the kind of emergency that would excuse me from work. Or at least, it's the kind of emergency that would make me leave work, excused or not.

JLR said...

Overeat looks weird all of the sudden. That's how you spell it, right? For some reason I think it looks unbalanced.

Don't tempt me with the alternate ride home. I can't be responsible for what I will do if I know I have an out.

Gadgets Friends said...

Very good!!