Thursday, March 03, 2011

Curses

Sorry to do this to you, folks, but I have to tell you what songs I get stuck in my head so that they will maybe actually get unstuck.

Like most people, I randomly get song medleys stuck in my head. I've mentioned before that I used to default to Elvis's "In the Ghetto." That song would just show up in my brain out of nowhere and hang on for days. Then it switched to that @#$%@^ Hamster Dance song. Don't know what I'm talking about? Click here.

You're welcome.

Sometimes people try to be helpful by giving me a different song that they think might displace the song that's on repeat in my brain. This is not actually helpful because any song will become annoying when you have to listen to it over and over again all day. Plus, I usually just get a medley of the suggested song and "mahna mahna," which is way worse.



Again, you're welcome.

Lately, however, I have a whole new medley. It's a combination of two (very short) songs you may or may not have heard of. The first one is just a few lines from a Teen Girl Squad episode. See if you don't catch yourself singing "Garbage disposal, what a way to go. Garbage diSPOsal!" after you've seen it.



The other song is from an episode of Courage the Cowardly Dog. In this one episode, Eustace has stolen a slab that had previously been stolen from an King Ramses' tomb, and the mummy wanted his slab back. As a warning, the mummy sends three curses: locusts, a flood, and, in a stroke of genius, a really annoying song. It's one of those funny-because-it's-true instances because of course, having a song in your head does feel like a curse.

You wouldn't think that a short song, the only words of which are "The man in gauze, the man in gauze/King RAMSES!" would stick in your head, but boy does it.



And right now, I can think of nothing else. And because I'm selfish, and because I believe that getting a song stuck in someone's head is the only way to dislodge it from your own brain, I'm sharing. Good luck to you all.


***BONUS!***
Yeah, this song [which followed this Homestar Runner video] sticks with you for days. I know, because it was stuck in my head the whole drive up to visit my grandfather last weekend, and then all the way back again.




6 comments:

flask said...

and now, as a "public service", i am going to leave you with this:

http://web.me.com/flask/flask/Podcast/Entries/2009/11/24_the_happy_song.html

JLR said...

I'm not going to lie--I'm a little afraid to pull up that link.


But I know I will at some point. That's the kind of trap that I can't resist.

RR said...

I'm so curious about that link from flask, but I'm afraid to click on it!

And also, now that Garbage Disposal song is stuck in my head.

flask said...

to ease your apprehension, i will tell you that it is a bona fide recording of music from my podcast.

it is a song i wrote a number of years ago and once upon a time in either a stroke of genius or a gross misuse of authority, i taught it to several hundred middle school students ostensibly for concert performance, but also told them it was a perfect song to sing repeatedly during long car rides.

this arrangement is a track from an album i'm working on, called 'songs nobody loves".

JLR said...

That is a brilliant idea. I would so buy that album to give people as a gift.

RR said...

Thanks for the description! And to clarify, I wasn't afraid the link would take me to a spam or virus site; I was very much afraid it was a song that would get in my stuck for a long, long, long, long, long, long time. And at inconvenient moments, like when I'm giving presentations to city officials. But I'm still going to brave clicking on it!...eventually.