Tuesday, March 08, 2011

"A," not really based on effort

Just took my test online--nailed it! I studied for it, and I did all the reading (ok, I skimmed part of it), but I still wasn't sure about quite a few of the questions. Good thing it was multiple choice. I have to say, I'm not sure I like what it says about community college when you can make an A on a test even though for at least 25% of the questions, you picked your answer by the "uh, that answer sounds good" method. I want to think that it's because I'm so super smart that even my random guesses are usually correct, but that's really not the case.

At least I'm willing to admit when I don't know something, though. I don't know why so many of my guy friends feel compelled to give you an answer if you ask a question, even if they have to make something up. Sometimes after one of them has given me some clearly-not-based-on-knowledge answer, I just want to look at him and say, "Seriously, you can just say you don't know." But actually, I don't think they can.

At least on multiple choice tests, you have an answer to pick from. That makes me feel a little better about being able to get an A even with gaping holes in my knowledge. But it also makes me think that either I am doing something wrong or the instructor is.

I'm not going to complain to the school or anything, I'm just saying.



No comments: