Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Are you making moral judgments, Mrs. Peacock?

[warning: this post has not been checked for spelling, grammar, flow, content, or coherent-ness.]

As you may have guessed from the title, RR and I are watching Clue right now in honor of Tim Curry's birthday. Just thought you should know.

So, what I have been up to instead of blogging? Fascinating things! Except not really. Allow me to tell you about it in poetry form.

Oh, I kid. Allow me to tell you about by referencing quotes from Clue, also known as "how I conduct most of my conversations."

"Does anyone here not make their living from the government one way or another?"

Lately I haven't done much besides work and think about how I should be working. It's been depressingly busy lately, but I think it's about to be just busy, not depressing. I'd had this project that I was working on, I was way past the deadline for getting it done, and I was starting to feel like I'd never finish. You ever have that feeling that you're just going to get in your car, drive away from work, and never come back? Yeah, I felt like that. Frequently. But then I FINALLY finished it (only to have my coworker tell me it was "the most boring thing she'd ever read," to which I said, "Word.").

So now, I'm behind on everything else I am supposed to have done, but I no longer feel like I'll never catch up. And, consequently, I no longer feel like I need to flee my life by moving to a small town, appropriating the identity of a dead woman, and later killing my abusive husband in self-defense. Am I referencing Enough or Sleeping With The Enemy? "Looks like we'll never know."

Yeah, I don't know what happened with that paragraph. I'm a little slap-happy from the lack of sleep after my frikkin-frakkin neighbor decided to play music late last night. I could be saying anything right now.

"Why would he want to kill you in public?"


Not a lot has been going on with me, other than work. The only new thing I've added to my life is tai chi, which, y'all, I love. I didn't think I would, but it has grown on me.

I'd looked into because I'd read that it was good for people with rheumatoid arthritis, which my mom has. She seemed tentatively interested, and I figured it'd be better to attend an actual class, at least at first, rather than just buying DVDs. On the same day I did research on local classes, a coworker friend (the one who bought me an orchid) was telling me about how stressed she'd been. When I told her that she should maybe take a yoga class, she said that she'd once taken a qi gong class and loved it, and that she'd love to do that again.

It was a sign! Or so we figured. I'm big on seeing signs when the mood strikes me.

So we decided to sign up for one of the classes. And then we saw that another tai chi class was at the botanic garden, we signed up for that one, too, because we are both overachievers and indecisive.

Our first tai chi/qi gong class, I didn't know what to expect. The only tai chi classes I'd had before had been at the gym. When our instructor said we'd be ending the class with some "sound vibrations," I almost ran right out the door. I could not look at my coworker for fear I'd break out into hysterical, uncontrollable giggling.

But then the class started, and it was kind of like yoga in that after awhile, I was totally getting into what I call the "zen zone." I felt all my work stress just melting away . . . until, until, UNTIL I did one of those ball-of-energy-sliding moves to the right, looked over and saw that one of my classmates had decided to take her shoes off. And put them out of the way. By the wall. On top of my handbag.

Her *shoes*.

ON.TOP.OF.MY.HANDBAG.

I'll just let that sink in with you, along with what you know about me and how I feel about germs and feet.

Needless to say, I snapped out of the zone reeeaaal fast. Every time I looked that way, I felt "flames . . . on the side of my face . . . heaving . . . heaving breaths." Oh, the rage.

I did manage to hold on to my sanity long enough to realize that violence against my classmate was not the answer and, let's face it, would likely get me kicked out of the class. Plus, my coworker might not want to drive me to my car after that. So I managed to choke down the rage instead of my classmate and continue with the class, but I did not find it relaxing.

Oh, and the sound vibrations were really just like meditation, so it wasn't too weird. It involved no machines or touching of auras. And the next time there was no shoe-upon-the-handbag event, and it was very relaxing.

And our other tai chi class is awesome. RR is taking it with us, and I gotta say, although I'm still a yoga girl at heart, I want to keep taking these classes.


"I had been out all night at the movies."

So I was supposed to finish telling you about our birthday celebrating. On the weekend after our birthday, we went with a friend to have dinner and then to norebang, which is like karaoke, except you get your own room so that you don't have to humiliate yourself in front of people you don't know. Our friend had told us that she was bad at singing, but actually she was great. And while RR could not make a living as a singer, she has quite a pleasant singing voice. So I guess in this day and age she probably could make a living as a singer.

Anyway, point is, I was the only bad singer. And somehow I ended up singing the most. Or maybe it just felt like I sang the most because it was painful? Hint for my readers: Prince's "Kiss" is not easy to sing if you are a terrible singer.

But it was also fun. I would totally do it again. Only this time, with people who also can't sing or who are mostly deaf.

Also that evening, our friend spilled coffee on her white pants only a few minutes after I told her how brave she was to (a) ever wear white pants and (b) drink coffee at the same time, as I would surely spill my coffee all over my pants if I were to forget myself and attempt it. So yeah, I am pretty sure I caused that. Our poor friend was so upset, and I don't blame her because she looked adorable. But then we went shopping for more clothes, so that was fun. AND we got to introduce her to the magic that is Carbona. And it totally worked! Of course it did. Carbona is awesome.

Oh, we also went and saw Detective K. We really enjoyed it. We'd planned to go see Jane Eyre, but it wasn't showing at a theater near us (also: seriously? What's up with that? We don't live in the middle of Nowheresville, USA). So we went to see this instead because (a) we like Kim Myeong-min, and (b) I like almost anything even remotely related to solving a mystery. And our friend got to see a movie in her native language, so it was win-win for everyone.

And I've now run out of things to say.

Happy Birthday, Tim Curry!

No comments: