Wednesday, June 15, 2011

It's a White Hole.

Ok, so, yesterday when I was talking to my coworker -- wait, let me clarify. In our little department, besides our boss, there are me and two other coworkers: Blerg Coworker and Super Nice Coworker. Super Nice Coworker is, by the way, incapable of standing up to Blerg Coworker (or most people, really). Anyway, Super Nice Coworker told me that our boss had asked her if she knew why I'd been upset at lunch.

At lunch, we started discussing a project, and my boss told me in what direction she thought we needed to go, and I said we could do that.

And then she told me why again. And I repeated that we could do that.

And then she told me why again. And then I said, again, we could do that.

And when I tell you that she repeated her reasoning, I don't mean that she elaborated or rephrased her points. She really just repeated what she had just said, to which I had responded in a way indicating understanding and acquiescence. And that made me so upset, I turned bright red, raised my voice, nearly started crying, threw my napkin on the table, and stormed out.

No, of course, I didn't do that. I wasn't upset. Not even a little bit. I may be a little unreasonable sometimes, but I'm not ridiculous.

I was, however, a little confused (and, honestly, a little amused) about how I'd managed to get trapped into a white hole.


So what is it?


Maybe it was my facial expression? Maybe my "wait, is she really saying the exact same thing again? Does she think I didn't understand her? But I said ok. So why is she repeating herself? Hmm. Have I lost the ability to speak and understand English? What is going on here? Ok, I'm just going to keep saying the same thing, too, and see where she takes this" face is the same as my "all worked up" face. Since I don't have a better explanation, I'm going to start practicing my "confused" face in the mirror so maybe I can be more facially explicit in the future.

I also might have a tone in my voice that I don't know about. I do sometimes have a tone in my voice that don't intend, an "I will kill you right now and also you are a moron" kind of tone. As you can imagine, unintentionally having such a tone can have some unwanted consequences. So I've worked on that one over the years. Maybe this is a different, previously undiscovered tone? So now I get to practice making faces and talking to myself in the mirror. That will not make me seem crazy at all. I'm sure it will help me a lot.



Ok, so, yesterday when I was talking to my coworker --



3 comments:

Karen Kaye said...

How amazing that you included a Red Dwarf video! I think I love you.

How amazing that you included a Red Dwarf video! I think I love you.

How amazing...

RR said...

Karen Kaye:

Ha! Love the reference.

JLR, I'm always happy to hear a reference to a white hole.

Karen Kaye:

Ha! Love the reference.

JLR, I'm always happy to hear a reference to a white hole.

Karen Kaye:

Ha! ...

JLR said...

Karen, if asked I would have certainly said that you were so awesome that of course you would know Red Dwarf.

So it's agreed then--you guys rock.

Karen, if asked . . .