Thursday, August 11, 2011

Coworker serenaded us at lunch again. Oh, and my cat ate a plastic bag.


That was a nice $500 trip to the vet. After he threw up one piece of plastic, I thought, "well, that's gotta be all he ate, 'cause why would he KEEP eating plastic?" Turns out I was wrong. Turns out he's high-strung and a "stress eater" like his me. Only I eat jars of cashew butter and boxes of ginger candy. He eats the wrapping on the roll of paper towels.

RR and I do not know what to do about that cat sometimes. We spend a lot of time asking him "Whhhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?" WHY does he refuse to eat his food when we know he's hungry? WHY does he stand on my neck in the morning to wake me up to feed him because he's hungry from not eating his dinner the night before? WHY does he insist on trying to get in the cabinet door that he can't quite manage to pry open more than a few inches before losing his grip, thereby slamming the cabinet shut again, producing a constant "kuhTHUNKuhTHUNKkuhTHUNK."

He never gives us an answer, though. He just looks at us blankly and goes back to eating the carpet on the stairs. And that's why we love him. We do not, however, love the vet bills.

Anyway.

So, yeah. Got sung at during lunch at a barbecue joint. And my boss ended a three hour lunch week before last by making me and one of my coworkers go to a store that sells supplies to magicians. I hate that store. I've said so, repeatedly. She said it would be a reward for our hard work. I said, "it wouldn't be a reward for me." She still made us go. And then she made us pick out a deck of cards for doing card tricks, which she bought for us (after having the poor employee demonstrate the tricks for us). I'd say it was nice of her and it's the thought that counts, except she knew I didn't want it, so I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I seriously almost cried in the middle of the store. That's kind of what my whole job has been like lately, which is why I haven't posted much. I've way behind, and my boss seems to be engaging in some kind of psychological warfare against me. Boss, if you're testing me, let me save you the trouble and just tell you: yes, I will give up company secrets if I'm locked in the magic store.

One month until vacation. One month until vacation.

3 comments:

Lee Farrand said...

omg.. did someone say MAGIC STORE!!!???

just kiddding. but getting sung at is actually quite exciting.

JLR said...

Leeeeeeeeee! Hello! I know you don't have a lot of time to spare these days, what with the cutest baby with the best facial expressions ever, so thanks for posting something on your blog! It made my day. Always makes me laugh.

The magic store is creepy. They do tricks and act like it's actual magic even though it is a store that sells magic tricks, so the jig is pretty much up the minute you step into the store. If ever you and your family comes to Texas, I will happily point you in the direction of the store.

Although I do always want to walk in and say, dramatically, "It's MAAAAGIC!" And then leave.

The singing part, alas, not exciting: my boss likes to sing to us at the table like we are a (literally) captive audience. But I think it must have been exciting for the people at the other tables. You do not see that every day.

pitchfest said...

You're welcome! I suggest responding with interpretive dance at the next singing onslaught...