Wednesday, July 11, 2012

On the Bright Side


I really am working on a post about my trip to Korea, I promise.  I'm working on it every day, in fact--but only for a few minutes at a time because that's all I've had to spare.  I can't promise it will be interesting, so don't get your hopes up.  Of course, if you read this blog you already know not to get your hopes up on that front!

Two weekends ago a pipe burst in the townhouse next door, and we were on the receiving end of some of their water surplus.  For the most part we didn't see any standing water--probably because we weren't here when it happened--but we did notice that our floors looked damp, like they'd just been washed.  When we found out what happened, we were concerned about the situation and told our landlords right away, since we've seen the bad things that mildew can do to a home and its contents, and because RR worked for years as an archivist and consequently knows a bit about the importance of flood remediation.  As RR pointed out, our landlords seemed more concerned about their floors than anything else.  But our landlords finally decided to do something about the possible moisture issues, though not, alas, out of great concern for us.  I think it was more that I sent them an email pointing out that it only takes 48 hours for mildew to start to form and that I'd been having a whee bit of an asthma issue, possibly thanks to whatever was causing the slight but persistent eau de mustiness that had been slowly but inexorably penetrating our downstairs ever since our neighbors had kindly decided to wash the undersides of our flooring.

Side note: Inexorably is a word that isn't used enough. Probably because no one can top the use that J. Lileks put it to here.

Anyway, the very next day, our landlords, suddenly seized with a sense of responsibility, had the remediation people at our doors.  Our landlord's wife called while the company's representatives were here setting up a giant humidifier and several large, loud fans in our home.  She wanted to let us know that it would be really loud, and that when they'd had work done after their home had flooded once, they had to board their cats because the noise was too traumatic for them.  Since they knew what the remediation was going to involve, it would have been nice to have received that warning sometime before the nice men were actually setting up the very loud, cat-trauma-causing blowing machines. As it was, RR, our cat, and I had a pretty miserable weekend, most of which we spent locked in one room or another upstairs, or wearing dust masks, thanks to the fans kicking up dust from every crevice in our place.  And the noise level was a bit like this.

On the plus side, I confirmed that I am still allergic to dust without having to go through that pesky get-punctured-with-a-dusty-needle skin prick test.  So there's that.

Also on the bright side, I have come up with a rewards system under which for every occurrence of certain annoying things that happen at work, I get a point, and at a certain number of points, I get marshmallows. Or peanut butter.  Or an hour of pointless television.  Basically, whatever it is that I've told myself I have to limit my intake of, I can now have, in reasonable amounts, if I earn enough points.  I realize that you aren't supposed to reward yourself with bad behavior, but I don't care because for once I'm actually looking forward to my weekly work lunch tomorrow, the weekly lunch at which I get nothing but a glass of water while everyone else eats really delicious-looking food. I'm hoping now instead of being like this at lunch every week

 
 (Source: whatshouldwecallme)

I'll be like this.
 

At least on the inside.  

Seriously.  Bring it on.

No comments: