Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Happy New Year!

Greetings, all! I hope the new year is treating you well so far.

I don't make new year's resolutions because if you think that you need to make a change, you should just go ahead and do it.  But this year, the timing worked out that the break I was taking on a few projects came to its self-imposed end point right around the end of the year.  That means that although I don't exactly call them resolutions, I have re-started some projects that I took a vacation from after Thanksgiving. 

Unfortunately, I'm having my usual overkill problem on new projects.  Whenever I pick back up a project after a break, I'm excited about what I am going to accomplish now that I'm rested and newly invigorated. I overestimate how much spare time I'll have, as well as how much energy I have, and I underestimate how much time I'll have to give to those unplanned activities that pop up and can't be put off.  So then I start taking on even more projects.  I have perhaps too much on my plate right now. 

But I'm actually learning from past mistakes!  Last night I decided that, while I can still do those new projects, I can't start on them until March, when I expect to have wrapped up some of the other things I've got going on. It's possible by then that I won't even still won't to do the Brand New Great Idea Of Thing For Me To Learn by then, and then I'll just have some free time. That would be really nice.

So, sadly, reading a textbook on immunology, learning to code, and catching up on all the latest updates to federal tax law will have to wait.

As you can imagine, I am a lot of fun at parties. I tell myself that I don't get invited to a lot of parties anymore because of my food allergies, but it's probably more about how quickly I make the other guests leave.

I don't have a lot else going on. I took a break from working weekends during the holidays, but I'm going to have to start doing that again.  I really wish I could talk about work on this blog, but the people I'd most want to talk about do not have a sense of humor.  If by any chance they found this blog, there would be so much of The Drama.  But you guys are missing out.  It's like "The Office" in there most days. I really, really want to talk about our Halloween party, for example, but the fallout would be too great.  I'm not exaggerating--NO sense of humor.

In other news, I seem to be allergic to everything now.  I have tried doing a rotation diet to figure out what it is that I'm reacting to, but I can't pin it down.  I even tried cutting out coffee for a few days.  My conclusion: if I can't figure out what the problem is, there's no reason to cut out either coffee or chocolate. 

In pop culture news, I'm mundo excited about the new episodes of "Arrested Development." 

Anyway, best of luck to everyone on their plans for the new year!

1 comment:

RR said...

I look forward to hearing more about what you learn from that immunology textbook. Also, as soon as you've mastered coding, can you write some code that will somehow allow me to be even lazier than usual? That would really improve my new year. If you could reprogram my oven and refrigerator to somehow work together to make dinner, for example, I would be every so happy.