Monday, July 28, 2014

Welp.



So apparently, in this my 38th year, my body has decided to get serious about weight loss.  I'm not serious about it seeing as how I don't actually need to lose weight.  But my immune system has concluded that my weight is in the "unhealthily over" category.  That's the only conclusion I can draw from the fact that recent testing confirmed what I had already begun to suspect: I have developed food allergies to rice and dairy, the two foods categories that I love the most and eat the most of. Bananas and tuna, two other foods that I love, though maybe not as much, but still quite a lot, are also gone.

I suspected the bananas, too, because my mouth itched whenever I ate one, but I kept telling myself it was a reaction to pollen and could be safely ignored.  Not so much, apparently. Given that I routinely consumed two bananas a day for my snacks, this has obviously caused me a degree of inconvenience.

Maybe this is a result of getting old. 







Not that I think I'm old.  But some people put anyone who is closer to 40 than to 30 in The Olds group, so, yeah. Maybe my body belongs in that group. Maybe it's just decided, "welp, we've had a good run, but we can let things go to hell now." You know, how some people (like me, for example) stop ironing their clothes as carefully, or stop making sure their clothes even match (also me), or who wear their hair in a bun every day for a month straight because it's easy (and that's me again).  My body is doing the equivalent of wearing socks with Crocs.  

I don't know what I'm going to do for my go-to meals in the future, but for now, I am eating a lot of ginger candy.  "Wait," you say, "you already ate a lot of ginger candy."  That is technically true.  So I suppose what I should have said was that, in comparison to how much I used to eat, I am eating much, much more.  And that means I am eating All The Ginger Candy. If you can't find any in your local stores, it's because I've bought them all.

But all is not lost because I am not, thus far, allergic to coffee.

3 comments:

RR said...

"...I am not, thus far, allergic to coffee."

Don't say it. You'll jinx yourself!

flask said...

wooo! happy to see you post!

do you want the good news? sometimes when you get sensitized in one allergic reaction, you become temporarily sensitized to all the things.

so maybe later (weeks or months or years) you'll get some of those things back.

maybe.

one can hope.

Edgar Powell said...

Very nice blog..

Turkey Tour Packages